A roundup of feedback

Options

First of all: hi 1Password team! It's been a while, and I hope you are all doing well.

Dan said I should add my feedback here after using the 1P8 beta for Mac for a couple weeks. But let me know if I should send this elsewhere:

• Can’t find a way to edit individual items opened from 1P mini
  • Holding Option does not reveal protected details in individual items
  • Option also doesn’t work in main app to reveal protected details
  • ‘Convert to Login’ option seems missing on password items
  • Can’t find a way to Quick Look or open a PDF attachment from an item. Only option seems to be to download it, then open from ~/Downloads. Besides being a little tedious, this seems wildly insecure
  • Can’t drag multiple items from a search onto a vault or tag. There’s no prompt to drop, and dropping them just snaps them back to the item list
  • After a couple weeks, I thoroughly dislike the change of relegating categories to a drop-down menu and moving Vaults to the sidebar. I dig into categories far, far more often than changing vaults. Further, Vaults have convenient keyboard shortcuts. Categories don’t (and even if they were added, I’d still prefer Categories in the sidebar, and Vaults in a menu at the top of the Sidebar or item list)
  • Can’t move the preferences window, it’s stuck on top of 1P. Granted I’ve used this infrequently, but it’s a useful thing in app apps for various reasons, like previewing UI changes, playing with new options we might disable, etc.

Thanks for lending your ear. And happy holidays to everyone!

1Password Version: 80500046
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: 12.0.1

Comments

• Hey @chartier:

Thanks for all this detailed feedback here!

Can’t find a way to edit individual items opened from 1P mini

To clarify, do you mean Quick Access, or right clicking an item in the main window, and selecting Open in New Window?

Holding Option does not reveal protected details in individual items / Option also doesn’t work in main app to reveal protected details

Just to confirm, are you on the most recent Beta? An option was recently added under Security > Hold Option to toggle revealed fields

‘Convert to Login’ option seems missing on password items

Converting a Password item to a Login can now be done by adding a username to the empty username field.

Can’t find a way to Quick Look or open a PDF attachment from an item. Only option seems to be to download it, then open from ~/Downloads. Besides being a little tedious, this seems wildly insecure

In the most recent Beta, the option to Quick Look an attachment was added. Let me know if that's not what you're experiencing!

Can’t drag multiple items from a search onto a vault or tag. There’s no prompt to drop, and dropping them just snaps them back to the item list

I was able to replicate this behavior, so I've added your input to an internal issue about this.

One of our designers, Dan, has touched on the design choices of the sidebar and category dropdown:

In 1Password 7 for Mac, we got a lot of feedback around the sidebar organization being confusing. Trying to use that area for vaults, tags, and categories was found to be awkward for a lot of folks and not ideal or easily learnable for new users. We started looking more and more into how people use vaults, tags, and categories via user research, customer support interactions, and internal discussions. The more we looked at it the more it seemed to become clear that tags and vaults are thought of for organization, and they fit the sidebar concept very well for most because they want to be able to drag and drop things to them, create new ones for sharing or just their own organization mental models, and it fit in with the thoughts most people we spoke with had from other apps they use.

Item categories we found to be most related to file types in the way people seem to think of them. You can't really swap between them because some are incompatible with others, so they aren't really thought of by many as an organizational tool. You don't often want "all JPEG files" in your Finder sidebar for instance, but rather a way to find by searching or filtering to those when you need them.

With that said however, I've added your input internally, as we're always striving to make 1Password better for everyone.

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#9609

• tomjepp
    tomjepp
    Community Member
    Options

The category feedback is one that is repeated over and over on this forum. There does need to be a rethink - it's not just one or two people.

The finder example is interesting, because by default you do have Music and Video folders there - while they're manually managed folders in some ways, they're not too far off the item categories idea logically.

This discussion has been closed.