Search field doesn't search [username] field (Linux & Mac)

I have some username fields populated with an alias email address that ends in "+subscribe" , as in "johndoe+subscribe@mydomain.com". In most cases those email addresses are in the [username] field in 1pw.

If I search for "+subscribe" in either the macOS client or the LInux client, no records are found.

However, if I do the same search in 1PW's iOS client, the search works.

1Password Version: 8.4.x and 8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.01 and Linux Mint 20.04

Comments

• Hi @Lantern:

Thanks for asking! We're still fine tuning how search behaves, and I was able to replicate this behavior. In the meantime, would searching for wendy.appleseed+subscribe work for you?

Let me know!

Jack

• Lantern
    Lantern
    Community Member

Sorry, no "wendy ..." on any platform for me!

• Hi @Lantern:

Just to clarify, I used wendy.appleseed as an example, similar to how you used "johndoe+subscribe". Just to confirm, searching for johndoe+subscribe does not return any results?

Jack

• Lantern
    Lantern
    Community Member

My goal was to see all the records that contain the substring "+subscribe" within the [username] field ... so I'm actually NOT searching the full email address.

I get zero results on the desktops (Mac and Linux for me) searching for "+subscribe" and I get a 8 or 9 results in iOS.

Three examples below on LInux/Mac and two work, one doesn't:

• if I put in the full email address (say "johndoe+subscribe@domain.com" , then I get the expected results.
    • LIkewise, if I put "johndoe+subscribe" and truncate it there, the search still works.
    • It's only if I look for "+subscribe" (the substring within the username field that does NOT start at the beginning of the username string) that it fails.

But again, on ios, in all three examples above work fine.

• Lantern
    Lantern
    Community Member

My goal was to see all the records that contain the substring "+subscribe" within the [username] field ... so I'm actually NOT searching the full email address.

I get zero results on the desktops (Mac and Linux for me) searching for "+subscribe" and I get a 8 or 9 results in iOS.

Three examples below on LInux/Mac and two work, one doesn't:

• if I put in the full email address (say "johndoe+subscribe@domain.com" , then I get the expected results.
    • LIkewise, if I put "johndoe+subscribe" and truncate it there, the search still works.
    • It's only if I look for "+subscribe" (the substring within the username field that does NOT start at the beginning of the username string) that it fails.

But again, on ios, in all three examples above work fine.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

Sadly it's a well known issue of 1PW8 that searching for substrings isn't supported any longer. Search now only works from the beginning of a word. For me it's pretty much useless now and the answers by the support staff doesn't sound like it's fixed any time soon. For me this is a show stopper.

• Hi @Lantern and @viswiz:

Thanks for mentioning this. As my colleague Dom has noted elsewhere, we're using a new search engine written to better handle international languages and allow for search to behave more consistently across languages and character sets. We're always trying to improve 1Password, and there are future plans to revisit this and hopefully get this behaving closer to how it is in 1Password 7.

Jack

• Just as a follow up here, I've checked internally, and I have filed an issue for not being able to search for +subscribe and get the results as you're expecting. Thanks for your patience, and keep an eye out for future updates!

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#11901

• Lantern
    Lantern
    Community Member

Thanks, not urgent, I just think it should allow substring searches in that field on desktop as it does on iOS. Thanks for the followup

This discussion has been closed.