No straightforward way to create a new iCloud-synced vault

Options
m4rkw
m4rkw
Community Member

Hello

I have a standalone license and currently use 1P7. I don't want a 1P cloud account for the many security-related reasons we've previously discussed.

I decided to set up 1Password on my 6yo daughter's iOS devices and found that after installing the iOS app there was no option to create a new iCloud-synced vault. I then figured ok maybe it's just not in the iOS client so I created an account for her on my mac and tried to do it that way but it was the way - the only iCloud option needed you to have previously synced to iCloud.

This is user-hostile, why do this? You just make life unnecessarily difficult for users.

In the end I had to:

1. Backup my 1Password directory under ~/Library/Group\ Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application\ Support/1Password/ and transfer it to the other mac account
  2. Copy the data into place, unlock the vault, remove all the stuff I didn't want in her iCloud vault, then configure iCloud sync
  3. Change the master password on the transferred vault

This worked but it feels very hostile to not provide a straightforward way to do this for people who have valid standalone licenses.

Mark

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @m4rkw!

Thank you for the feedback! For future reference, the quickest way to create a standalone vault is to open 1Password for Mac and go to Preferences > Advanced tab, and check the option Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts :+1:

This discussion has been closed.