Standalone Vault

richeames
richeames
Community Member

As of the 7.8.6 installer it appears that we can no longer create a standalone vault. We do not have approval from our Privacy Compliance dept to use teams and store passwords through 1Password.

What is the process now to create a local vault

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• soshiito
    soshiito
    Community Member

Standalone vaults are no longer part of 1Password as you can read in this post.

• Hey @richeames

If you've got a 1Password 7 for Mac license you can create a new vault using the File > New Vault > New Standalone Vault menu option. While Dave's post that @soshiito mentioned is worth reading, it doesn't affect the ability for existing license customers to create standalone vaults. While we will not be selling licenses for 1Password 8, and standalone vaults will not be a feature there, they continue to be a feature in 1Password 7. That said, I'd strongly encourage you to ask your privacy compliance department to reach out to our security team so we can discuss how to best move forward. Staying on v7 indefinitely probably won't be ideal for compliance either. :)

I hope that helps!

Ben

• richeames
    richeames
    Community Member

I get it if it's for 1Password 8 but this is with the 7.8.6 installer. I use this on our MDM to push the app and now you can no longer purchase multiple licenses, I typically have to buy 5-6 a week as we do not have approval for the subscription model.

• @richeames

We're no longer selling licenses for any version of 1Password and as such membership will be the only way to onboard new users. I'd encourage you to reach out to our business team at business@1password.com to discuss how we can assist you at this point.

Ben

• TaB
    TaB
    Community Member
    edited December 2021

Hi There, I have a standalone license for 1password and also using the Account Subscriptions. Appearently I dont see a way to add the license key or license file to 1password. Therefore I dont see the option to create a standalone vault. Asking for help here... thanks!

Edit: I found the solution to create a standalone vault myself already... seems the license is there but I just cannot see it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@TaB:

Thank you for the update :+1: Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.

• DL14
    DL14
    Community Member

Hi,
    I am an user since 1Password 3, I have a license of 1Password 7.
    I am not interested to go on subscription, can you tell me if my license will stop working after 1Password 8 will be release?
    I hope I will be able to continue to use it since I bought it.
    Best regards
    Dominique

• @DL14

You can use your license for as long as it continues to work for you. We won't be invalidating anyone's licenses. 1Password 7 will continue to function, however it would not likely receive further updates once v8 is released. As such if you were to upgrade other systems such as your operating system or web browser those changes could cause it to stop working in the future.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• DL14
    DL14
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

Sorry for the late reply.
    Let me see if I understood well, you said it will not work anymore if I upgrade my system or my web browser, but I have a few questions:

1) Does it means it will not work at all or I will still be able to open 1Password 7 and copy the logins manually?

2) I have several devices, iMac - MB Pro - iPhone - iPad Pro, will I be able to still sync with Wlan or not after?

3) Where can I download again 1PW 7 in case of crash of my computer, I want to have a backup of the Software since its not possible to download it anymore. Can I copy it directly from my app folder and copy it in new or formatted computer if I have a problem in my computer?

I am so sad that license will not exist anymore, it was the perfect software for me.

Best regards.

Dominique

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Note that Ben said "could". There's no specific reason why an upgrade of the OS or browser would cause 1PW7 to stop working, but equally it is possible that changes in the OS would prevent it working. You just have to wait and see.

• Correct; sorry for any confusion on that point. I don't have a crystal ball in this regard. It isn't uncommon for new browser versions or major operating system upgrades to introduce compatibility problems for existing software, but if or when that'll happen with any specific update/upgrade isn't a known variable.

Ben

• DL14
    DL14
    Community Member

But sync all my devices by Wlan will continue to work always?
    If I understand well the subscription, it means my local vault will not be on my computer anymore but on a server of AgileBits? It’s just because of that I am against the subscription.
    I like to keep on local as much as I can.
    I know u have a good price for 3 years but im reluctant to do it due to the fact if I understood well, the vault will be online.

Dominique

• Hey @DL14:

Great questions!

But sync all my devices by Wlan will continue to work always?

As Ben mentioned, we simply don't know. As it's likely 1Password 7 for Mac will not receive updates after the full release of 1Password 8 for Mac, it's very possible changes made by new browser versions or major operating system upgrades could cause issues.

If I understand well the subscription, it means my local vault will not be on my computer anymore but on a server of AgileBits?

With a 1Password account, your data is synced through our 1Password.com service. However, you still retain a local copy of all your data. If you were to lose internet access, you would still have access to all of your items in your 1Password account still in your 1Password app.

Jack

• viking1978
    viking1978
    Community Member

For the standalone vault, I was wondering if it would not be supported anymore. Since I have to store data locally according to the compnay policy. Now after i received my new mac, i find i could not migrate my old standalone vault to new mac. It is so annoying for me now that I have to export everything and maintain eveything in a csv file.

• @viking1978

Standalone vaults will not be part of 1Password going forward. As CSV files are entirely unencrypted/unprotected I couldn't recommend that approach, but if that is what your company policy dictates then I suppose that's what you have to do. We'd be happy to engage with the policy makers at your company to explain the benefits of keeping credentials in an encrypted 1Password vault, vs an unencrypted CSV, if you'd like to put them in touch.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.