Changes to documents in 1PW8 for Mac

Options

Probably a hangover from 1P7 but it'd be nice that when you drag a document onto an item, it would only attach the document to the item and not add as a document in 1PW8.

Currently, when you drag an item onto 1PW8, it uploads the document to 1PW and then I have to link to an existing item.

Maybe instead, if you drag an item onto the item list, it uploads as a separate item but if you drag on the item detail pane, it attaches as a file to that item only.

I like the fact I can attach documents to items and the attachments don't pollute in 1PW as separate documents. Currently the only way to do this is to attach each document manually.

1Password Version: 8.2.2-19.BETA
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12

Comments

• gdhnz
    gdhnz
    Community Member
    Options

As its using Electron, it'd also be great if it could display attachments within the app without having to download them. Especially for things like images, txt files, and potentially pdfs.

• nimvio
    nimvio
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for this suggestion! Also, previewing documents would be very nice.

• JohnnyFJohnsson
    JohnnyFJohnsson
    Community Member
    Options

@gdhnz, @nimvio I think previewing common file formats was mentioned in another thread already. still +1 for that :)

• Hi folks,

For some background: there are challenges relating to the fact that items have to be decrypted before they can be previewed, and the storage of said decrypted items, that we want to find better solutions for. The current behavior of downloading the items to the Downloads folder makes it more clear to the end user that there is decrypted data being saved to disk. I'm hoping we'll be able to find a more elegant solution, but for this iteration of the Early Access preview the Download method is what was needed to get Document and attachment support included.

I'll be sure to add your voices to the request for Quick Look / previews inside the app. Thank you for the feedback!

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#8252

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, so I am sure previously I could quick preview without actually downloading it, but reading above it seems that improvements in this area on are the to-do list which is great.

Currently though I think more could easily be done to confirm that a document has actually been downloaded, perhaps just a little brief acknowledgement. I have just inadvertently ended up with 3 copies of a document in my downloads because there is no visible or audio cue that the download actually works.

• ag_andrew
    edited October 2021
    Options

Hi @iwaddo

You're right. We do post visual notifications for some operations, I'll look into the possibility of showing one when a document download is complete.

Edit: Actually we already do exactly what I was thinking of :smile:

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_andrew

I have just tried this and I received the confirmation as you said. I will keep an eye on it to see if and when it happens again as I definitely finished up with 3 copies of the same document and it seems unlikely I missed it three times.

Thank you for your help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Andrew, you are very welcome @iwaddo! Sounds good :)

• jp3456
    jp3456
    Community Member
    edited October 2021
    Options

Hi folks,
    just started using the beta 8.4.0 on MacOS 11.6 and had a problem. I updated an existing login and wanted to add a screenshot into the login data so I clicked 'edit' on the login item and tried dragging the ss onto it. nothing happened although it appeared that something happened because the screen didn't update but when I clicked cancel I got a discard changes message. I checked and couldn't find the ss that I had dragged and dropped. So thinking that this was not possible I selected "documents" and was able to D&D the SS there. however when I went back to the login item and tried to 'link to a related item' the list only shows logins and notes so I wasn't able.
    undeterred I tried again but did not click the edit button on the login item and the SS successfully added and when I clicked the link to a related item the newly added doc did show up on the list. so a bit confused here.

tha nks
    JP

• mia
    mia
    Community Member
    Options

Agree that the documents is one of the most frustrating parts of my transition to v8.

@Ben when transitioning opvaults from v7 into 1PW family subscription, it did a good job with the data, but a lousy job with the documents. We should just be able to drag and drop and attach to that item without having to click a bunch of times.
    I understand preview is hard for Mac & PC but worth the time and effort needed to make this a seamless experience.

• @nimvio Quick Look has now been implemented in the latest Beta of 1Password 8 for Mac (8.5.0-46, specifically). If you're interested in putting it through its paces, we'd love to hear your feedback!

https://releases.1password.com/mac/early-access/#1password-for-mac-8.5.0-46

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

@PeterG_1P

Looks good. When do they get deleted from the previews folder?

Regards

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

@iwaddo @PeterG_1P I too would like to know this. When do those previews get removed? How secure are they while they are there etc.

• nimvio
    nimvio
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @PeterG_1P !

• MerryBit
    MerryBit
    Community Member
    Options

@PeterG_1P Interested to know if document preview is coming for Windows, too? Not when, just if.

• Hi @iwaddo @rctneil, thanks for this question. To sum up:

When do those previews get removed? How secure are they while they are there etc.

The previews persist until the 1Password app locks or shuts down (gracefully).

The documents are unencrypted, and are accessible to any process running with the current user’s privileges or with admin privileges. They are not accessible to other non-admin users on the machine.

I hope this helps with your security considerations!

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

@PeterG_1P

Really great that the previews are removed when the 1Password app locks or shuts down (gracefully), however, if the 1Password app crashes will it remove the previews upon restart?

Thank you for your help.

Regards

• Ben
    Options

@iwaddo,

I just tested this by previewing a Document, then killing 1Password (kill -9 [pid]) and then relaunching it. It does not appear to clean up in that case. I'll file an issue to see if that is something we can address. :)

Ben

• Ben
    Options

To clarify my above statement: it does clean up eventually, but not until 1Password is cleanly quit. I assume the argument is that it should clean up on launch in this case, and I would agree with that.

Ben

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben

Thank you for confirming.

Yes, cleaning up on launch would seem like a good idea.

Another oddity you may be able to help with please. The preview window has the option to Open with Preview, when you do this it appears as though the file is located at the last folder you used to preview a file with Preview app (click the little ∨ next to the filename) but, as you would expect the file is not actually located in the folder indicated. I cannot see this being an issue it just a little odd.

Thank you for your help.

Regards

This discussion has been closed.