1Password Export

Homer
Homer
Community Member

Over the weekend I was tinkering with 1Password and decided to export my data for that "just in case" event (old school, I have backups of backups of backups). When the export window comes up there is a (in RED) note that states that the exported data will not be encrypted and needs to be protected. Understood. But, seeing how I'm on a MacBook Pro, 2020, M1, with FileVault enabled, would it still be recommended to encrypt the export? I was under the impression that with FileVault enabled, my entire system is encrypted, including the data in my Home Folder.

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: MacOS 11.6.2

Comments

• @Homer,

Once you've done an export of 1Password data, that file can be copied by you, or other authorized or unauthorized users to file systems that aren't encrypted. The warning is so that you're aware of that scenario, that 1Password has exported something that was previously protected by your password, into a file format that has no protections at all.

• Homer
    Homer
    Community Member

Rudy, thank you for the explanation. Think I'll search for a MacOS encryption program and store the export encrypted.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Rudy, you are welcome @Homer! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• Homer
    Homer
    Community Member

One last question. Prior to doing the export I thought I'd go through 1Password and delete things that may no longer be relevant and I came across these (screenshot). I'm assuming that the 1Password 4, 1Password 5 and 1Password 6 can be deleted. But just out of curiosity, where did these entries come from?

• @Homer,

The software license entries were automatically created by 1Password to capture your license so that when synced across to other devices, those copies of 1Password can automatically read your license and license themselves appropriately without you having to do any additional actions.

• Homer
    Homer
    Community Member

Sorry, but each response seem to lead to another question. I have no problem leaving these entries, but, being currently on 1Password 7.9.2 (iMac on Catalina, MacBook Pro M1 on Big Sur and an iPhone 11) and soon to update to 1Password 8, I'm assuming these can be deleted and that there's now some other method 1Password uses to monitor devices/users.

• @Homer,

No problem at all, we're here to answer any questions you might have. You are correct, those entries aren't needed unless you have really old machines that you'd need to run those old versions on. 1Password 8 doesn't have licenses at all so going forward you won't have any new entries created.

This discussion has been closed.