Does the Mac Beta 8 support local vaults

Just installed the new 1Password Beta for Mac and cant see a way to open my local vault, has support been removed ? many thanks

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.2.0-44.BETA
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.5.1 (20G80)

Comments

• @agroee

Our Founder, Dave Teare, posted a really informative outline of the reason for changing our support for standalone licenses here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/601917/#Comment_601917

• agoree
    agoree
    Community Member

I understand the reasons for moving away from Standalone licences and the limitations of local vaults and I am happy to pay an ongoing subscription, however I would still like to able to use a local vault for certain types of data while accepting the limitations. I currently use a combination of both local and online vaults.

• hackphish
    hackphish
    Community Member

Agree with ag_tommy here. I recently moved 600+ passwords from Lastpass. I wanted a single password manager for work and home. 1Password fits this nicely with the local vault capability. Company policy requires that corporate passwords NEVER be sync'd to a cloud based system, so having a local vault on my MacBook is perfect. I have access to my personal and work passwords in one easy-to-use system.

I use Firefox instead of Safari so I was disappointed when I found that the standard Firefox extension does not support a local vault.

I installed the Classic extension, but I fear there will come a time, when 1Password stops supporting this.

There is a real use-case you fill for your customers here that no other password managers do (at least as easily as you do). I'd encourage you to add the local vault feature back in to the extension so we can continue to have a great experience.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for your feedback as well @hackphish, I have passed it to the rest of the team :+1:

• dougl
    dougl
    Community Member

Good point here - subscription models and standalone vaults are two separate things, not dependent on each other.

• StevenBedrick
    StevenBedrick
    Community Member

Since 1P8 does store a local copy of your items, and (apparently) is functional in an offline state, it seems like it would at least be technically possible for it to support standalone/offline vaults, independent of whatever pricing model AgileBits wants to pursue. So hopefully that is a path that they will consider at some point.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

There are features that can't be provided with standalone vaults. Also syncing between machines and devices is harder with standalone.

AgileBits are considering the possibility of having self-hosted storage. If they ultimately introduce that option, I suspect it will be the best choice for people who do not want cloud storage at all.

• StevenBedrick
    StevenBedrick
    Community Member

Yeah, I think a non-syncing offline/standalone mode would be a sensible/feasible compromise; expecting them to include an entire secondary syncing feature for standalone vaults seems like it would be totally out of scope given that getting rid of that complexity was probably a big part of why they got rid of standalone vaults in the first place.

• We are collecting feedback on the self-hosted service and if this is something you might be interested in, please add your vote:
    https://survey.1password.com/self-host/

Thank you!

• neil_laubenthal
    neil_laubenthal
    Community Member

Danco…

Yes…there are features that cannot be provided with stand alone local vaults and DropBox sync…but the main contention for those users that want those features is…so what. Just let us know what supposedly super duper features we won't get for those vaults and let users decide whether the advantages for them of local vaults/DropBox sync outweigh the super duper features. That's all we're really asking for…not to lose access to features we want and need just because the company wants to move to their new business model. I understand the incentive for subscription predictable revenue over standalone licenses…I would prefer standalone but can live with subscription licensing.

I don't see how allowing the current DropBo sync feature would cause any extra programming work…if a user accepts that the local vault doesn't have the super duper features and is willing to accept that…as far as the 1PW app is concerned it's just a file and all the sync stuff happens in DropBox's app.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I can see the case for local vaults. But the only advantage I can see for Dropbox sync over 1Password.com is that the latter is more obvious a target for attacks. Please explain to me if there are any other reasons for using Dropbox.

And I know of one excellent reason for NOT using Dropbox. We've run into it before. If Dropbox changes its syncing approach they could render syncing of 1PW inoperable for a considerable time.

• @danco makes some great points. Also, in general, syncing is one of the hardest things to get right and it gets much more difficult when syncing using generic apis. So difficult in fact that we never got things the way we wanted after over a decade of trying. In our new sync protocol there's several techniques we use that rely on the server to do things in a specific way in order to get the performance and reliability guarantees we need.

I understand that it feels completely reasonable to believe we could just copy over the existing code and make a few tweaks here and there to fit into our new architecture, but in reality it is incredibly difficult to do in practice. And it's not just development. Adding this complexity takes a toll on the UX for users and greatly complicates support. We have a lot of awesome people here who are happy to help but we've all moved on to 1Password accounts. One of the things that has made 1Password great over the years is we actively use our own app. Doing so makes things nicer for everyone as we're able to provide thorough help and know first hand how to make things better. With all our team switched over, including those who originally wanted to keep their local vaults, it was time to move on.

While 1Password accounts and their server-based vaults are the way forward, as @roustem mentioned above, we are considering self-hosting of our 1Password service that would unlock these use cases while continuing to get the benefits of 1Password.com. For example, one option would be to self-host on a server within your local network, or run it directly on your main machine, or on your own cloud instance. Of course there's gotchas like backups and upgrades that you'd need to consider, but it would provide incredible flexibility. If this is something you're interested in, please take the survey to help us better gauge demand so we can prioritize this appropriately.

Take care,

++dave;
    1Password Founder

• ajfragen
    ajfragen
    Community Member

I am now trying out the 1P8 beta. I have used an empty standalone vault so that I can change the master password for the device but not for the 1P.com account. I don't require syncing.

Unless there is some method of having 2 distinct passwords for a 1P.com account I assume this feature is lost. :'(

• Hey @ajfragen 👋

There are some options. You can use Touch ID, Apple Watch unlock, or Windows Hello, if you'd prefer not to type your 1Password account password(s). But yeah, using a standalone vault as a workaround to typing your password is no longer supported I'm afraid.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• ajfragen
    ajfragen
    Community Member

I'm disappointed as a standalone vault that I'm not syncing anywhere should be an issue, but after using 1Password since 2009 I'll figure it out. Thanks for the quick response.

This discussion has been closed.