Tool -> Remove Duplicates Gone?

Options

Hi,

So upgraded from my local vault to subscription. This didn't go particularly smoothly resulting in a large amount of duplicate entries (probably incorrectly I thought the it would merger entries when moving the various devices to iCloud).

Anyways, so there used to be a tool for removing duplicates. I can't seem to find it in 8.0; it certainly came in handy now and then.

Cheers,

Julian

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• BoernyMcBee
    BoernyMcBee
    Community Member
    Options

You might have duplicate vaults. I experienced this when I migrated, too. After I renamed a vault, after migrating another device this added the previous vault from that device again. It's quite easy though to browse through all objects and remove duplicates or remove a duplicate added vault, but it's tedious work …

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jnd!

(probably incorrectly I thought the it would merger entries when moving the various devices to iCloud).

When you say "merging", it makes me think that you might have actually migrated the data multiple times, once from each device. Could this be what happened?

At the moment the duplicate removal feature has not made it into the 1Password 8 Early Access, so I recommend running the tool on 1Password 7. You can then switch back to the Early Access once the duplicates have been removed :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BoernyMcBee:

If there are indeed duplicate vaults, removing duplicates is very easy: just removed the duplicate vault. If the duplicates are inside the same vault however, that's where the duplicate removal comes in handy.

• jnd
    jnd
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana

Yup I think something along those lines what probably happened when I was switching to subscription.

In the end did as you said and went back to 7 and removed the duplicates there and all was good :)

Would be nice to get the tool in 8, but then again been using 1Password for years and this is the first time I’ve had an issue…

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jnd:

In the end did as you said and went back to 7 and removed the duplicates there and all was good :)

That is good to hear, thank you for the update :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@spinoza:

It sounds like then they are not real duplicates, if some information differs in the items. Out of curiosity, what metadata differs?

• valor
    valor
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Bumping this thread -- having the same issue as @spinoza

It appears that there's the presence of a "pbe" value in the JSON dump of one entry, and not in the other.
    I've attached a screenshot of the file diff (redacted, of course) for illustration -- this same pattern exists in my other duplicated entries.

[EDIT] Of course, within the app everything is the same and the "pbe" JSON entry has no UI equivalent.

• valor
    valor
    Community Member
    Options

@rob It looks like the other 1P folks on this thread have moved on; could you have a look at this? 😬

• rob
    Options

Hmm, that's interesting. There should always be a pbe value when there's a pgrng value, especially when pgrng is true. @valor do you know how the duplicate was created and which one is the original?

Also, are you seeing this problem with multiple duplicates or just this one?

• valor
    valor
    Community Member
    edited June 2022
    Options

@rob I have over 800 duplicates, and I spot-checked several and they all match this pattern.
    The duplicates were created when I migrated from a perpetual license (DropBox sync) to subscription, just like OP

[EDIT] And the 1Password 7 duplicate remover tool doesn't work, I assume because of this issue. I've just been living with the duplicates :-)

• PeterG_1P
    edited July 2022
    Options

Thank you for letting us know the details of this, @valor. I'm sorry that the 1Password 7 duplicate tool hasn't been helpful for cleanup in this case too. We're continuing to work on how we can best help in situations where duplicates arise and will make sure to post in the forums with any news on this topic. Thanks for bearing with us.

ref:IDEA-I-615

This discussion has been closed.