Problems with Firefox on MacOS Monterey

Options
fieten
fieten
Community Member
edited December 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

After the update to MacOS Monterey, Firefox did not start anymore. A clean new installation worked, but only until I installed the 1Password extension. It crashes immediately after the start.

Is this a known issue? What can I do?

Thanks in advance!

P.S.: It seems, that the Version is of 1Password is 4.7.5.90, 18. Oktober 2019, thus very old. It does/did not ask me to use a newer version. Is 1Password X the successor?

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: Firefox 95. Can't check the version of the xtension because of crash.
OS Version: MacOS12.1

Comments

• GPW
    GPW
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem. I eventually got the icon to appear, but it is locked. See attachment.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @fieten ,

The successor is the newer "1Password for the browser" (previously known as 1Password X), yes. Please do install it and remove the current extension you have from Firefox: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/
    Does it still crash?

@GPW That is a different issue. If clicking on the 1Password icon does nothing, please try right-clicking it, then select "Settings" and turn off the "Integrate with 1Password app" option there. Does that allow you to click the extension and unlock it?

• GPW
    GPW
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron , no it does not unlock. In Firefox it brings me to a login web page for a 1Password account. It does work, however, in Safari. I tried restarting FF, but no luck.

• GPW
    GPW
    Community Member
    Options

• GPW
    GPW
    Community Member
    Options

Also, in Settings > Accounts and Vaults, there are no vaults listed. When I click on the plus "+" sign, it brings me to another sign-in page that requests my "secret key."

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @GPW ,
    The extension you have in Safari indeed requires a 1Password.com membership account. If you are still using local vaults and a standalone license with 1Password, then you'll want to remove that extension and install the old classic extension instead: https://support.1password.com/cs/1password-classic-extension/

• fieten
    fieten
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @ag_yaron , for your help.
    I have an 1Password.com membership account. Nevertheless, I store my data using local vaults for several reasons. Does that mean that I have to use the app that was updated the last time on 18. October 2019? Or can I access the local data with the new add-on?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @fieten ,

If you use local vaults still, you will need to use the classic extension, yes.
    I'm not sure what your reasons are for still using local vaults, but you might find this post interesting: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/602340/#Comment_602340

• fieten
    fieten
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for adding the post. I have read your argumentation why you like to offer your cloud services as well as many valueable comments of users who do not want to use them.
    I would trust the security of your servers. Nevertheless, they may be a worthwhile goal for hackers. My local harddisk is definitely not a goal for large scale attacks.
    Can you give me a hint how long I will be able to use the local vault? A 2 years old add-on version does not create much trust in me.
    I have been using 1password for more than 12 years now, on different devices and operating systems. I really do not want be forced to change the system I like to use very much at the moment.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2021
    Options

Hey @fieten ,

I'd like to point out that even in the apocalyptic event of a breach in our servers, the data in them is completely encrypted with your master password and secret key, making it uncrackable and unreadable even to the most formidable hackers / malicious organizations. They'd simply get a bunch of encrypted unreadable data and other than your email they won't get much further since our encryption is beyond strong, and because we can't lose what we don't have (we don't have your password or secret key!).

Can you give me a hint how long I will be able to use the local vault? A 2 years old add-on version does not create much trust in me.

You can keep using 1Password 7 for as long as you'd like and keep your local vaults, as well as the classic extension. They work well and will continue to work well for the foreseeable future. I believe it will take at least 2-3 newer operating systems before something breaks and you will be forced to make a decision to migrate your data or move to another solution, so there's plenty of time.

However, I do hope you'll give our cloud service a try and see how easy and seamless it makes everything, improving your 1Password experience across all platforms and devices in a heartbeat, while keeping your data safe and secure :)

Some reading material if you'd like to learn a little more:

• GPW
    GPW
    Community Member
    Options

Added back the classic extension. Works fine now.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad to hear it :+1:

This discussion has been closed.