websites getting hacked

keitht1958
keitht1958
Community Member
edited December 2021 in Lounge

windows 11 pro
1Password for Windows 8.4.1
since installing 1password two sites i have been hacked googl and steam
google notifies on my mobile if another computer access my account i have since changed password
steam was more serious i had to enable mobile authenticator
this never happended before 1password

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @keitht1958

Could you please help me understand what it is that leads you to believe your accounts on these sites have been compromised? Are you able to access the accounts?

Ben

• keitht1958
    keitht1958
    Community Member

yes i can access these accounts i have no problem using 1password but with such complicated passwords how did they gain access to google and steam thats what worries me.
    before i installed 1password i was never hacked even with such simple passwords

• how did they gain access to google and steam thats what worries me.

Thanks @keitht1958. That's part of my question: what makes you think someone other than yourself gained access to these accounts?

Ben

• Kakkoister2
    Kakkoister2
    Community Member

@keith1958 I wouldn't think this is any issue with 1P. As Ben stated, did you get an email, that these accounts were accessed? Are you making sure you're using a unique password for every login within 1P?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Both good suggestion @tomatoshadow2!

• keitht1958
    keitht1958
    Community Member

yes i was using good password from 1password for steam after it was recovered they emailed me password but i changed it again and using two factor authentication google had a password from 1password but my mobile notified me that another computer was trying to access my account which i denied i then changed password again from 1password
    i have since deleted all browsers saved passwords except for 1password which i have saved for logging in to 1password

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

my mobile notified me that another computer was trying to access my account

Was it "trying", but not succeeded?

Maybe someone just made a typo in his/her username when trying to log in (and thus typing yours)?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@keitht1958:

yes i was using good password from 1password for steam after it was recovered they emailed me password

It would also be worth checking if that was a legitimate Steam website. I don't believe the official Steam website would send your password via email.

• Kakkoister2
    Kakkoister2
    Community Member
    edited December 2021

As @ag_ana stated as well, this would be very concerning if it wasn't the official Steam site, @keitht1958 I would always triple check when you go to a website, say the official one, save that it 1P. Then when you need to go to that to that website, press open and fill and 1P will bring you to that site. Let us know what you find out.

• keitht1958
    keitht1958
    Community Member

only problem with steam is it wont let you copy and paste login so i revealed password and typed it in manually but it saved it and using steam authenticator

• Kakkoister2
    Kakkoister2
    Community Member

@keitht1958 If you are on the official Steam site you saved, 1P should just auto-fill for you, I myself, haven't ever run into this no fill issue. Are you using steam authenticator as a 2FA?

• keitht1958
    keitht1958
    Community Member

its steams own version of two factor authentication its an app on my mobile it sends a code which i have to enter at login on computer

• Kakkoister2
    Kakkoister2
    Community Member

@keitht1958 Alright, well if you're using 2FA, that should be keeping your account safe along with a strong random password generated from 1P. There shouldn't be any issues. Have you confirmed no one else would know your email address?

• keitht1958
    keitht1958
    Community Member

how would i confirm no one else knows my email address i have quite a bit of mail and several contacts

• Kakkoister2
    Kakkoister2
    Community Member

@keitht1958 Yeah, so what I'm meaning here is that no one that you know, would use your email to try to take over one of your accounts. Because when you change your password, usually a website wouldn't really email you a password, was this maybe a notification email, that you changed your password?

This discussion has been closed.