OK to go all-in on 1Password 8 yet?

Options

I have two Macs, and have so far kept 1Password 8 Early Access on one and 1Password 7 on the other.

There's nothing in 1Password 8 that is going to stop me moving to it when released, and I would prefer to be using the same version on both Macs.

Now that 1P8 has progressed from Early Access to beta, is there a reason why I shouldn't do this?

(I also have 1P on two iPhones and two iPads FWIW)

1Password Version: 8.5.0
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: macOS 12.1

Comments

• Ben
    Options

@mikebore

I've done so, for what it's worth. I only fire up 1Password 7 to take screenshots or verify things for customers using v7. A personal choice, really, but I can't think of any reason not to if you're happy to do so. :)

Ben

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben. So you have 1P7 installed alongside? The instructions for 1P8 say remove 1P7...sounds like that is optional.

• Ben
    Options

We'd recommend uninstalling 7 before installing 8 to avoid conflicts with the browser extensions. I'm in a bit of a unique situation, and have to be very careful to ensure only one is running (even in the background) to not cause problems. It is possible, but more headache than it is worth unless you absolutely have to like I do. ;)

Ben

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I have installed 1P7 and installed 1P8. All good.

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

That was meant to say uninstalled 1P7 and installed 1P8 of course. (can't find edit...sure there used to be an edit option)

• Ben
    Options

@mikebore

No worries! I understood what you meant. ;) Glad to hear it worked out. Edit is still there, though I believe it is time limited. Additionally if you're using Dark Mode the icon for it is a bit hidden, unfortunately (black icon on a dark background).

(before clicking the icon)

(after clicking the icon)

I'd love to come up with a fix for that in our forum theme, but haven't yet found the cycles for it.

Ben

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    edited December 2021
    Options

Thanks Ben. Found Edit in light mode. It requires hovering in the correct spot to show the options. When hovered over it becomes bright and visible, but before that it is black on black in dark mode. Now I know where it is I can find it in dark mode as well.

• Ben
    Options

I'm sure there is a trick in CSS to invert the color of the icon so it is visible in dark mode. 🤔 Will file an issue to remind myself to ask our web developers or do some of my own research after the holidays.

Ben

ref: dev/web/1password.community#98

This discussion has been closed.