1Password 8 Mac: Self-hosting 1Password Vaults much needed

Hi,

an option for self-hosting 1Password Vaults is much needed for people who were using local vaults until now in order to be able to migrate to 1Password 8. There a people who are not allowed by law to use cloud services for sensitive personal data.

Please consider self-hosting 1Password Vaults for those who can't or will not use cloud services for security reasons.

I would even pay double the price for a 1Password Pro if I can host my vaults locally.

1Password Version: 8 beta
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.1

Comments

• Hi @security_guru

Thanks for taking the time to write in with this concern. I don't anticipate this is something we're going to offer in the near future, but we are running a survey to evaluate the level of demand and surrounding use cases for self-hosting the 1Password service. Completing this survey would be the best way to have your voice heard on this issue:

https://survey.1password.com/self-host/

There a people who are not allowed by law to use cloud services for sensitive personal data.

I'd be curious to know: which laws are those, specifically?

will not use cloud services for security reasons

I wonder if you've had an opportunity to review our security design white paper? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. It is available here.

Thanks!

Ben

• cvandray
    cvandray
    Community Member

In the ´For what it's worth' department: I would expect that companies or organizations that already use a cloud service for business use via a secure VPN want to avoid login conflicts and possible data leaks.

They likely do not approve of a device or desktop using an app such as 1Password on top of their existing 2FA SSO security.

• SSO can absolutely be a boon, but I don't ever see it being available for every login. Password management continues to be relevant despite SSO. At a minimum some subset of employees will need to be able to log in with external vendors and those credentials could benefit from 1Password.

Ben

• seand003
    seand003
    Community Member

@Ben Any word on self-hosted decision?

• @seand003 no word on this yet, but we'll certainly make an announcement here for any developments related to self-hosting. Thank you for your understanding!

• renep
    renep
    Community Member

Now that the 1Password 8 for Mac is out I'm wordering if the self hosting is going to happen or not? I will not switch 1Password 8 unless there is a self hosting option. This also means that I will not renew my 1Password (Business) subscription when the time comes.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

I'd be curious to know: which laws are those, specifically?

I suspect HIPAA might get in the way for instance. I know a lot of medical organization that had to keep everything self-hosted for compliance (although things seem to be evolving a bit baby step by baby step nowadays).

• JC_Denton
    JC_Denton
    Community Member

Where are the results of the survey? When is 1P7 EOL?

• Hi folks, we don't have any news on the self-hosting survey at the moment (other than that it's still open, and you can still contribute your views there).

@JC_Denton: we don't have an official EOL for 1Password 7 at this point. One of our founders, Roustem, recently said in our Reddit AMA that "We always did our best to support the older versions of 1Password and we will do this with 1P7 as well. However, there are certainly limits on how much time we could spend on it." I think this is a succinct summary of where things stand.

This discussion has been closed.