Deleting old vault after migrating to 1Password.com for syncing

Options
DeltaSeven
DeltaSeven
Community Member

I was helping someone make the change from an iCloud hosted vault to 1Password.com in preparation for the new version of 1Password. We used these directions: https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

Under Set up your other devices there are instructions for deleting the Primary Vault on Mac, Windows, iOS and Android. I was able to delete the Primary Vault on my iPad and iPhone, but that option wasn’t available to me on my Mac. Instead I went to my Mac’s preferences, iCloud storage, Manage and found the vault listed there. So I deleted it.

The migration seemed to go fine, everything is working normally. I’m just curious about why I couldn’t delete the old vault on my Mac in the 1Password app.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• @DeltaSeven,

The in-app migrator would have done that automatically as part of the migration process. You can remove the primary vault in the mac app by going to Preferences -> Advanced and turn off "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts", that should get you into the same state as the in-app migrator.

• DeltaSeven
    DeltaSeven
    Community Member
    Options

I was checking my own Mac and found the data was left behind on my iCloud Drive. I don't recall the specifics of my move from iCloud to 1Password.com syncing, it was maybe a year ago. Allow creation of outside vaults was off, so I went ahead and deleted the files in the Apple Manage Storage window.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the clarification @DeltaSeven :+1:

This discussion has been closed.