To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Membership for Two / Pairs / Couples

basurerito
basurerito
Community Member
edited October 2020 in Memberships

Hi,

currently I am using the personal subscription.
This is okay for me. My wife now is interested in 1pw as well.
Another personal subscription? Nonsense and too expensive. Families subscription? Too much and as such also too expensive.

Why not introducing a Two / Pairs / Couples subscription? For e.g. 3.50$ / 3€.

Would be an interesting option. The available options are not well suited for couples ...

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @basurerito

1Password Families is less expensive than two individual memberships. It also gives you the ability to include a few guests at no additional cost, e.g. if you have family visiting who you want to share the WiFi password with. :)

Share with guests in 1Password Families

I'm not aware of any plans to offer additional types of membership at this point, but I'll let the team know of the suggestion. :)

Ben

• basurerito
    basurerito
    Community Member

Hi @Ben

Family plan is roughly 66€ (next year ~68€) .. as we'd use it for two persons only, it's way too expensive.
    That's what I meant. Sure it is cheaper than two single subscriptions.

She will stick with KeepassXC for now as this is working for her (that's where I migrated from to 1password).

Seems we will look for alternatives after my first year.

Thanks

• Understood. Thanks for sharing your perspective with us. :)

Ben

• davet65
    davet65
    Community Member

I see this discussion is almost a year old, but I want to put in my support for a "Couples" membership at a cost between Single and Family. Makes sense to me.

I have Single and my wife uses her browser password manager because she has relatively few occasions to sign in to sites on her iPhone, so she will typically use "my" Single on our shared computer. I seems to me it would be mutually beneficial to capture people like me with a Couples membership option.

• Hi @davet65

1Password Families is already priced less than the cost of 2X individual memberships, and as such I don't anticipate there being room between them to create another level.

For your use case... is there any data that you do not wish to share with each other? If not, you're more than welcome to share an individual membership. If each of you do need to have some data be private then 1Password Families would be the way forward. We'd be happy to discuss in more depth if you'd like. I'd encourage you to reach out to our team at support@1password.com outlining your needs and we can help point you in the right direction. :)

Ben

• davet65
    davet65
    Community Member

Ben, As usual, 1Password support is right there; thanks.

We can certainly "share an individual membership" as we have no need for private passwords. I did not know I could do that. The only device that would be added to my single membership would be her iPhone. Current device list is my iPhone, iMac and iPad, all working now. Is the process embarrassingly simple so that you can Reply here, or should I contact support@1password.com?

Many thanks.

• @davet65

You can add 1Password to your wife's iPhone using these instructions:

Get the 1Password apps

I hope that helps!

Ben

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited July 2021

We can certainly "share an individual membership" as we have no need for private passwords.

Same with me. Actually I use my individual account on the devices of my wife, daughter and son. They are not able (no offense) to use such a password manager on their own, and I don't want them to use their browsers to save passwords. We are fine with this. Maybe we have to think about a family account when kids are old enough to have their own passwords. ;)

• That's what I did. My 11yo son has gotten quite accustomed to generating passwords now.

• VelvetGlove
    VelvetGlove
    Community Member

I recently signed on for a single 1PW account after years with Keepass. I'm liking it so far but am now considering options for my husband. A couples membership would be ideal as all he requires is a simple subset of my passwords so he can access things like utility companies or bank accounts in the event of something happening to me (I manage all our bills and accounts). Honestly, I would be very surprised if he even looked at the program any more than once per year, his mobile phone and internet usage is minimal. We are a senior couple with no other family members in our household so two "seats" are all that is required.

So I would like to ask for a couples option too. A Families account is pricey for the use we would make of it, even more so with the added currency exchange rates involved when purchasing. Please consider this.

I could give him access to my account and vault, we have no secrets, but I think he would find the number of sites and entries overwhelming. So I'll probably stick with a small Keepass file for hubby to use but it does mean having to update it every time I make any changes.

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    edited August 2021

@VelvetGlove, note that you can easily create (and switch among) multiple vaults to bring some order and organization to the vast number of secure info entries that tend to collect in a 1Password account.

Oh, and you can also use identifying prefixes for each 1P entry so that they still sort alpha, but are grouped by prefix. This works to separate entries into "his" and "hers" at the cost of some extra maintenance if and when entry info is changed.

• Hey @VelvetGlove

Thank you for your interest in 1Password.

So I would like to ask for a couples option too. A Families account is pricey for the use we would make of it, even more so with the added currency exchange rates involved when purchasing. Please consider this.

I would be glad to pass this feedback along to the team. Also, I would like to reach out to you via email to ask a few questions if that is okay. Please stay on the lookout for an email from 1Password Support. :)

• alpha
    alpha
    Community Member

I could give him access to my account and vault, we have no secrets, but I think he would find the number of sites and entries overwhelming.

Teaching him to switch between vaults is a good idea as the other comment hints. Another idea is to consider enabling only the vaults with the passwords that needs access to. It's an option on the mobile apps, at least on Android.

• VelvetGlove
    VelvetGlove
    Community Member

@williakz and @alpha , thanks very much for those tips they sound promising, I will look into them. I need to see how they work first, I'm still a rookie with this software!!

@joshua_1p , got your email... I have replied. :)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @VelvetGlove !

I also would suggest to use at least 2 different vaults - 1 for you and 1 for your husband. On his mobile device you can choose which one the app should show. That should work for you both with your individual subscription. No need to use a family or couple subscription. ;)

• VelvetGlove
    VelvetGlove
    Community Member

@DenalB , thank you. Yes, I've had a quick look and a 2nd vault certainly does look like the best solution. I think it will suit us both - convenient for me to manage and a simplified set of logins for hubby for when he needs them.

Thanks again everyone for your help and advice, what a lovely supportive group you have here. :)

• Sounds good. Feel free to post of you have any questions or follow up view email. Either way we'll do our best to help.

• bgoodz
    bgoodz
    Community Member

Hello,
    This post is exactly what I’ve been looking for. I’ve been a stand alone licensed use of 1PW for numerous years. Love the ability to keep all sign in & passwords in one place with 1PW functionality as opposed to excel spread sheets. I’m digesting all the info regarding transitioning to a membership with no blips hopefully. My current dilemma is which membership for our two person household (hubby & wife- both in our 70’s). Single membership or family? No secrets here and I also have some of her sign on / passwords in 1PW7.

Currently have 1PW7 on my Mac Desktop, iPad mini & my iPhone so we’re always seeking one of those devices when she often needs a PW.

We have between us 2 desktops, 2 laptops, 2 cell phones, 1 iPad mini. Total 7 devices. If a single membership allows 1PW on 7 devices and all synced that would be great and an answer to the beginning delimma. And sweetie wouldn’t have to chase me down to ask what her password is to a specific place 🤣

I’ve used this forum over the past several years a few times and determined it’s a great place for info, assistance and help conducted by friendly people also.

Keep up the great work, it’s helps with my decision of a stand alone until it dies or membership (albeit which one - single or family)

Thanks in advance on answering my membership question. And or other advice.
    Happy Holidays
    Bill

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bgoodz:

If a single membership allows 1PW on 7 devices and all synced that would be great and an answer to the beginning delimma.

There are no device limitations in any Membership type ;)

• bgoodz
    bgoodz
    Community Member

Hmmmm, that’s great 👍🏻. Thought I read that somewhere but wasn’t sure.
    Thanks for the fast response. Now, on to the membership scenario and data migration 😬.

Question: does the membership with 1PW8 or 1PW7 function the same like stand alone licensed 1PW7? I keep reading about signing in with master password and master key or something to that effect. Does that mean you need to sign on to 1PW site through your browser (Safari) in order to use 1PW app. Or, just simply activate 1PW app with your master password as usual?

Sorry, but I like to try and understand as much as possible before pushing the button(s) 🤔😉

• @bgoodz

No apologies necessary. I too like going in armed with all of the relevant info. The 1Password app and browser extension would unlock with your 1Password account password. :)

Ben

• bgoodz
    bgoodz
    Community Member

@Ben
    Thanks Ben, will give it whirl soon I hope.
    Happy Holidays to y’all

• Very good. :) Happy holidays!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.