"Use suggested password" popup

ajahn
ajahn
Community Member
edited December 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Is the following "Use suggested password" popup coming from 1Password? If so, will it also auto-fill that password in both the new password and confirmation fields?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ajahn:

Is the following "Use suggested password" popup coming from 1Password?

Yes :+1:

If so, will it also auto-fill that password in both the new password and confirmation fields?

Also yes :)

• goblue01
    goblue01
    Community Member

I’m a new user to 1Password, and it seems that when a password is suggested like this, when changing a password for example, 1Password does not automatically (or even offer to) update an existing entry. Do I not have something set correctly? (Noticed on both iOS and MacOS using Safari.)

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    edited December 2021

I'm using Chrome and it will ask. You can try it out using the test site. First, go to https://fill.dev/form/registration-email and enter your email and when you tab to the password field, you should see the password suggestion. 1password will offer to save it to a new entry. Then try it again and change the password and it should ask if you want to update your existing login item.

Remember to click the "Register" button to apply the new password. Otherwise 1password will be updated and the site's password won't be.

• goblue01
    goblue01
    Community Member

Thanks. That worked for Safari on Mac, but 1Password did not come up at all for Safari on iOS or on Chrome for me (Mac).

• goblue01
    goblue01
    Community Member

Solved my problem, at least for iOS Safari, and I bet I’ll find something similar for Chrome. The instructions were hiding in plain sight…. For anyone else with the same problem, see https://support.1password.com/getting-started-safari-ios/

Forgot to enable the extension within Safari on iPhone!

• Glad to hear you got it working on your iPhone, @goblue01! (and thanks to @ajahn for the assist! :smile:)

Just to clarify, the 1Password for iOS extension is only available when using Safari on your iPhone or iPad, and isn't available in other browsers like Chrome or Firefox for iOS. If you're looking for the 1Password extension for Chrome on your Mac, it can be downloaded here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-–-password-mana/aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa

Jack

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

I just enabled it on my iPhone as well. Good to know. I tried enabling it on my son's iPhone and I did not see the "Manage Extensions" as an option after pressing the icon. He is still running iOS 14.x and I'm on iOS 15. Is 15 required?

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

Just saw this: 1Password for Safari requires iOS 15 or later and 1Password 7.8 or later.
    That explains it.

• @ajahn Exactly right! :+1:

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

Ok. I just tried using 1Password to sign in to this community in Safari on my iPhone. This is what I see when I tap on the 1Password icon in the first username filed.

What "toolbar icon" are they talking about here? This is on an iPhone. I do see the blue button at the bottom (Use "ajahn") which then lets me use my face ID to fill in the username/password. Is that how things work on iPhone?

After it logs me in, I get the following notice at the bottom:

Should I select "Never for this website"? I don't plan to change passwords on my iPhone, just use it as a read-only device.

• Hi @ajahn:

To unlock 1Password for Safari on your iPhone, tap the aA icon in the Safari URL bar, then tap 1Password in the menu that pops up. Let me know if you run into any trouble!

Jack

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

@jack.platten ,
    When I'm on the sign in page for the community (see my screen shot above), there is nothing with an "aA" on it. Just the small 1p icon with a lock in the username field, and the blue 'Use "ajahn"' button at the bottom. Am I missing something?

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

Wait, when I looked at it again there was an entry at the bottom with the aA on it. I clicked on it and then clicked on 1Password. It asked me to sign in. How can I use face ID for that, like in the iPhone app?

• Hey @ajahn:

After signing in one time with your account password, you should be able to use Face ID from then on, until the next time you restart your iPhone.

Jack

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

Interesting... I typed in my password and got an email telling me I just signed in to Safari on my iPhone. Will this happen just once or everytime I sign in to 1password in Safari (on the iPhone)? And where did that blue button come from (Use "ajahn")? It showed up before now that I'm signed in, it shows the 1password login item under the username field.

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

After signing in one time with your account password, you should be able to use Face ID from then on, until the next time you restart your iPhone.

Oh GREAT!! Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2021

And where did that blue button come from (Use "ajahn")?

From 1Password Autofill.

Oh GREAT!! Thanks.

On behalf of Jack, you are very welcome :)

This discussion has been closed.