Autofill on Firefox for Android is inconsistent

Baldim816
Baldim816
Community Member

First of all, i love 1password, started using it a few weeks ago and it puts my mind at ease.
Your Windows App and Firefox Desktop add on works great, filling in everything i want with just a click and prompting me to store or update new or changed credentials, this is awesome!

The mobile experience unfortunately is not as good, especially when using Firefox for Android. On some sites, 1password only asks to fill in credentials when i click on the password box (autofilling only the password) but not when i click on the username box. On some sites it doesn't work at all. When i use Chrome on Android it works much better, i've tested a few sites on Chrome where i experienced issues on Firefox and on Chrome it worked for every site i tested

I'm using a S20 FE with the latest updates

Did anybody experience similar issues with Firefox on Android?
If so, does anybody know if it is due to Firefox, 1password or Android (Google)?

Comments

• Hey @Baldim816, welcome to 1Password as well as our community!

Firefox supports Autofill, so filling should be a rather seamless experience. Can you reset your Autofill settings by going to your Android device's 1Password app > Settings > Autofill, turning off both Autofill and Accessibility, and then turning them both back on again?

Can you also ensure you have Autofill previews enabled?

• Baldim816
    Baldim816
    Community Member

Thank you very much for your suggestions, i've tried disabling/enabling autofill and previews but it didn't change anything.
    Site i'm having issues is for example cardmarket.com
    I also recorded my screen, may i send you the video file somehow?

• darrenk
    darrenk
    Community Member

I'm also finding autofill extremely temperamental on Android, using both Samsung internet browser and chrome, a site which autofills once, will fail to do so the next time (including for this very forum). I've tried toggling the autofill functions in the app off and on, with little to no effect. Also the pop-up to suggest a new login registration is also very inconsistent or not available.

Note that autofill was working consistently a month or so ago. Hoping to find a resolution soon.

• brookemark
    brookemark
    Community Member

Hi... My partner and I both have this issue on different versions of Android OS s with Firefox on our phones. Very inconsistent, despite turning on or off autofill and Baldwin's note on it showing up in password field and not user is also something we experience. It's the most frustrating part of a generally good user experience.

• @Baldim816, I've tested cardmarket.com in Firefox and found that Autofill with 1Password only fills for the password field, not the username field. I'll pass this site along to our development team to investigate. If you'd still like to send us the recorded video, you can send it to support@1password.com and reference this Forum!

@darrenk, I'm sorry that Autofill is working inconsistently in Chrome and the Samsung browser. As long as all of your data is up to date in 1Password.com, can you try reinstalling the Android app?

@brookemark, I'm sorry for the frustration with filling on your and your partner's Android devices. Could you give me examples of some sites in Firefox that you're having trouble with so that we can test them on our end?

• darrenk
    darrenk
    Community Member

@ag_audrey thanks for responding, as suggested, I've uninstalled and reinstalled 1password and after waiting for the initial synchronisation, autofill is still sporadic and is failing more often than not.

• Hey @darrenk, thanks for the update. If you disable Autofill but keep Accessibility on, is filling easier this way?

• darrenk
    darrenk
    Community Member

Hi @ag_audrey - Thanks for responding and upon early testing of your suggestion (disable Autofill but leaving Accessibility on) does seem to be working well on various browsers.

I'll keep testing and will provide further feedback in a week or so.

Thanks once again.

• Hello @darrenk thanks for giving that a try. On behalf of Audrey, you are very welcome!

• darrenk
    darrenk
    Community Member

Thought I'd close the loop and provide feedback as promised. The fix to disable autofill but leave accessibility turned on has fixed the issue, I consistently get password suggestions regardless of browser or application.

• Hello @darrenk we really appreciate the update and feedback!

• jbh48
    jbh48
    Community Member

Hi all, Just thought I would chime in here on the 1Password-Samsung-Android-Firefox issue. Obviously there is something buggy with this combination. In my case, 1Pasword & Firefox work together fine when my Samsung S9 phone with Firefox and Android 10 is set up according to the 1Password instructions found here: https://support.1password.com/android-filling/. However...not so much on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10 (SM-T510) with android 11 and Firefox. In that case, like others, I have also found that disabling Autofill and keeping only Accessibility on enables 1Password and Firefox to play nice together. I hope this helps others who are dealing with an issue that was driving me nuts. Also, I'm curious if the 1Password team has figured out what's going on here. From what I see on the web, it appears that the issue may be most common on Samsung devices?

• Hello @jbh48 thanks for your comments. I'm glad to hear switching your Autofill settings was helpful.

We've recently identified an issue with a few websites in Firefox that no longer fill as expected. So far we've found Amazon, Twitter and Reddit are effected in Firefox but not Chrome or other supported browsers. We may need to wait for a fix from Firefox but we're continuing to investigate on our end as well: ref: android-1521

As for a broader issue with Samsung devices, most of the issues I've seen have been with users who recently updated to Android 12 and use Samsung Internet. In those cases, confirming Autofill and Accessibility are on then force stopping and re-opening Samsung Internet will often help.

• andythebouncer
    andythebouncer
    Community Member

Any update on this?

• StevenEvenz
    StevenEvenz
    Community Member

Hi I am just wondering how to turn on the accessibility option and not autofill I cannot find the toggle for it anywhere.

• Hello @andythebouncer, thanks for following up. Just to note, this was a 1Password 7 for Android specific issue and it looks like it doesn't effect 1Password 8. Though I did notice 1Password 8 isn't offering to fill on the Reddit website so I've gone ahead and filed that with the team.

@StevenEvenz, 1Password 8 for Android is supported on devices running Android 9 or later. The Autofill features available on these versions of Android are capable of delivering the same features as Accessibility-based filling with less impact on performance and battery life. So, we haven't included Accessibility filling with 1Password 8.

• B1948J
    B1948J
    Community Member

I have a Galaxy S21 with Android 12. I've tried using Firefox and it's a non-starter. I couldn't even register for this community using it. Numerous other sites like AT&T don't autofill. I switched to Chrome and was able to register but could not generate a password. I had to use the Android app to generate the PW but then 1Password didn't store it. I've uninstalled 1Password and reinstalled it twice. I've turned off and on autofill numerous times. I'm losing my patience. If autofill doesn't work in any Android browser, I need to find an alternative solution.

• Hi @B1948J, thanks for letting us know about these issues on your device. That definitely doesn't sound right and I'm sorry for the trouble

I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Android device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Android)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks again!

• kberryman
    kberryman
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

I am having the same issue as @B1948J on Pixel 6 Pro android v13.

• Hi @kberryman , thanks for writing in. I'm sorry to hear there's an issue filling on your Pixel 6!

Autofill issues can stem from a number of sources. To help determine the cause, I'd like to ask you to reach out to us via email directly at support@1password.com with a brief description of the issue. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot with a support ID that looks like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to make sure your message got to the right place.

Thanks again!

• Stevoisiak
    Stevoisiak
    Community Member
    edited February 2023

Reporting the same issue on a Zenfone 8 running Android 12 with 1Password 8 and Firefox 109. The autofill prompt isn't appearing consistently for the username field on several sites including Amazon and Discord.

• ag_timothy
    edited February 2023

Hi @Stevoisiak, thanks for writing in. I'm sorry Autofill has been inconsistent for you in Firefox!

I'd like to ask you to set prompts below fields, then let me know if you see any improvement on Amazon or Discord:
    1. Open and unlock 1Password for Android.
    2. Tap the account or collection icon.
    3. Tap Settings > Autofill.
    4. Tap Display Autofill prompts > Below the fields they relate to.

Thanks again!

• Stevoisiak
    Stevoisiak
    Community Member

@ag_timothy Switching autofill to below the fields seems to have worked. Thanks.

For reference, this issue was only occurring in Firefox, not Google Chrome.

• Thanks for the update, @Stevoisiak!

This discussion has been closed.