New beta update is now available

Welcome to our second last beta of the year. πŸ€—

Build #80500046 will likely be our second-to-last release this year as a lot of our team will be celebrating the holidays with their families and taking some well-earned vacations. And for me personally, I have 5 family gatherings to navigate over the next few weeks (2 birthdays and 3 Christmas dinners). πŸ₯§πŸŽ‚πŸ₯°

Earlier this month we added support for changing vault collections within Quick Access. With today’s release you can now switch between them using keyboard shortcuts, ⌘1 through ⌘9 on Mac and Ctrl+1 through Ctrl+9 on Windows and Linux.

On Mac we’ve improved the experience of using Quick Access, especially in full-screen applications and when using multiple displays. We also now support Quick Look on attachments and documents.

On Windows, we’ve improved our network stack to support custom corporate network setups that use various security protections. This was the top reported with 1Password 8 on Windows so we’d love to hear from you if it solved the connection issues for your setup.

You can find a full set of changes in our release notes for macOS , Windows , and Linux. Or, select the What’s New item from the feedback menu within the app.

As always, thank you so much for participating in the early access release and helping us to improve 1Password. We couldn't have gotten this far without you and the releases are so much better as a direct result of you. Thank you! πŸ™πŸ»πŸ€—

Comments

• Looking forward to seeing how many Cookie Run fans we have here. πŸ˜€

++dave;

• Mystic
    Mystic
    Community Member

The smaller items in the left panel look incredibly bad. Please return as it was or add a customization.
    It doesn't go well with anything, and the font looks terrible at FullHD and 27 inches. Pls!
    At the same time (all of a sudden they haven't talked about it yet) I will say about the shadow of the 1password window in Windwos 11, which does not exist. All windows in Windows have a noticeable shadow when active, and no shadow when inactive.
    These are two things that upset me. Otherwise, I am almost 100% satisfied with the 8th version (there is still no possibility to change the order of items, but I adapted).

• BillStiles77
    BillStiles77
    Community Member

Somewhere along the line, 1password8 lost the ability to reveal the password you typed on initial login to the desktop app. This was troublesome for me as one of my devices is a bit old and some of the keyboard keys were a bit wonky. However, recently the "eye" reappeared at the right of the text box so you could check what you (thought) you typed. Thanks for bringing that feature back!

• RickiKing
    RickiKing
    Community Member
    edited December 2021

I just tried the new beta.
    Looks nice an neat, however it will require some time to adjust to the new design.

1- I actually don't like that the categories have moved from the left panel and are now in a drop down menu. This is not straight forward and the drop down menu overlaps the displayed items.
    2- Please re-implement the number of items in the left panel. It is extremely helpful to double check if all items are up to date on the different platforms (OSX, iOS).
    3- I hope it will also be possible to modify the vault icons as in V7. At least I could not find how to do that in V8.
    4- The Feedback link "https://1password.community/categories/early-access/" out of V8 is broken - Page Not Found?

• Hello. πŸ‘‹ Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Please allow me to start with @RickiKing and work my way back up from there.

The movement of the categories has been very interesting as I personally love the move of the categories to be a filter on top of the item list. To me it feels more natural there, allows the sidebar to be super simple by avoid having separate modes, and frees up my sidebar to focus on vaults and higher level features. With that said, we've heard from many users with a small number of vaults and tags that the sidebar doesn't provide enough value now as it's mostly empty. We'll continue to iterate here to see if we can find a way to make everyone happy, but for the moment at least, we will be sticking with the current design until we find a way to do that.

As for item counts, I couldn't agree more. This is an active discussion we're having and we have some designs we're working through to make this happen. Hopefully early in the new year.

Changing vault icons directly within the app is something we're looking at and it will be added at some point. In the interim this can be accomplished using the website.

And thank you for reporting the broken link. We just finished changing from https://1password.community/categories/early-access/ to https://1password.community/categories/desktop-betas now that we're officially completed the Early Access phase and into the Beta phase. There was a window of time during this change where the feedback link would give you a Page Not Found error. I'm sorry you tripped over it but thankfully everything is up-to-date now.

@BillStiles77: I'm so happy to hear you love the Reveal Password button on the unlock screen as much as I do. πŸ₯°

@Mystic: We're continuing to play with the layout and while I personally agree that the font on the left panel has gotten too small, I do appreciate that my sidebar fits more vaults now. I suspect someday we will allow for some customization here as there's strong feelings on all sides and the immensely different screen sizes available. 😊

Regarding the window shadow on Windows 11, I'll ask around and see if there's anything we can do about that. As for there being "no possibility to change the order of items", I don't follow. If you mean the main item list, you can sort by Title, Date Created, and Date Modified from the sort menu above the item list. I'm guessing there's something else you were looking for? Please elaborate so I can better understand what's on your mind.

Finally, you mentioned that you were otherwise 100% satisfied with 1Password 8, and that's lovely music to my ears. 🎢 πŸ€— We'll do our best to raise the bar even further in 2022. πŸ™Œ

Take care, stay safe out there, and enjoy the rest of your year.

++dave;

• Mystic
    Mystic
    Community Member
    edited December 2021

Greetings, dear dteare
    Sorry, I put it wrong. I meant moving fields inside items.
    For example, I have many servers and many of them may eventually have a second ip-address, or maybe a third from another vlan. And in order to preserve the order (ip first, then users), I need to re-create the entire block. This obviously cannot be convenient. I made a template that I clone when creating items for servers, which in general solved the problem, but this is a crutch and this is something that after the first attempt to use 1pass shocked me and I refused, but after a few months I tried again and found workarounds for some things I didn't like.
    And the size of the elements on the left annoys me more and more every day. However, I am on the beta channel, and as far as I know, a release has already appeared. Is the size the same there? Does it make sense for me to reinstall the application?
    I am a developer myself and I think it is obvious that if there are things that do not suit many users, you just need to add the ability to customize them for yourself.
    Best wishes!

• RickiKing
    RickiKing
    Community Member

Hi Dave,
    Thank you for your detailed reply. Yes my family and I use a limited number of vaults.
    Although I accept that you personally love the move of the categories to be a filter on top of the item list, please consider that my credo is that simplicity should be key in usage of applications. With this change, one at least has to first click the filter before selecting the category. Yes it is just one click more, nevertheless one which is unnecessary.
    I hope, that at least you can make this an optional choice.
    Thank you and happy holidays.

• aexvir
    aexvir
    Community Member

@dteare when you're saying that

but for the moment at least, we will be sticking with the current design until we find a way to do that

do you have any deeper explanation about why are you deciding to stick with this design after acknowledging that many users prefer the old layout? I'm guessing you should have some kind of metric for the average number of vaults and tags your users have, no? are those numbers high enough to justify brining that information so much more in front even if it means making more obscure/complicated the category filtering?

• AdieB
    AdieB
    Community Member

The cynical side of me looks at this statement and assumes in this instance (categories in the side bar), the chasing of corporate accounts (with multiple vaults) and needing that income stream has a higher priority than the lowly single / family user.
    I may be incorrect but the usage that @dteare describes above fits that world and the 'looking into it' statement with nothing definitive indicates that has a higher value to them.

I thought about trying to use the tags in such away to create a similar structure to categories, but the inability to tag and untag in bulk means that's a lot of work. The only tags I have seem to be some weird import tag from 2018 (even on items created in 2010?) which at a guess might be when I moved to the subscription.

Even the ability to hide the side bar would be an improvement.

Having been a user since 2010 I have gone along for the ride (even though wary of the subscription model) and had great support when needed, this is the first time that I feel a good chunk of users are being pushed to one side. Sad really.

This discussion has been closed.