Quick Access window jumps all over the place

I came back to give the 8.0 beta another shot, and this behaviour is driving me nuts. For some reason the Quick Access window position gets moved (especially after reboots) and I keep having to drag it into the middle of the screen. I don't see any way to anchor it or force it to always appear in the same position. Am I missing something, or is this the expected behaviour?

1Password Version: 8.5.0-68.NIGHTLY
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.2 dev seed

Comments

• neilio
    neilio
    Community Member

For example, this is what I just got after logging out and back in again. The window was originally in the centre of the screen before I logged out. https://cln.sh/sEmu1dHvfD6Bx4frZzjs

• r22
    r22
    Community Member

Yeah I noticed the same also: for me it was way at the bottom of the screen, partly outside.

• kleerkoat
    kleerkoat
    Community Member

same here, it's off my screen right now

• dickc
    dickc
    Community Member

Same here, also.It's way off the screen at the bottom!

• kleerkoat
    kleerkoat
    Community Member

same exact position for me as well. i might be crazy but it fells like other windows push it further down the screen because it a random increment moving down the screen until it gets down to the bottom off screen.

• PeterG_1P
    edited January 2022

Hello @neilio (and @kleerkoat @dickc @r22 šŸ‘‹), thanks for letting us know about this. I'd like to dig into the specifics a bit to see if we can understand what's driving this odd behavior.

Here's a couple questions for you:

• What OS are you currently running?
    • Are you using multiple monitors?
    • If you're on a Mac, are you using clamshell mode?

Hopefully this helps us narrow down the possibilities. I'll be happy to do what I can to track this one down for you!

ref: dev/core/core#10717
    ref: dev/core/core#12056

• neilio
    neilio
    Community Member
    edited January 2022

One machine is running 12.1 and the other is on the 12.2 developer seed. Both are single display (Mac Mini and Mac laptop). I should add that the Mini is a very clean install as I use it mostly for server-related stuff.

• Thank you @neilio. I've reported this to our developers so we can look into it further. Thanks for helping us do that!

• dickc
    dickc
    Community Member

I'm running MacOS 12.1 on an iMac. Not using clamshell mode

• Thanks @dickc! We appreciate the specs.

• sullimander
    sullimander
    Community Member

I would love an option to always have Quick Access open in the center of the screen. Even if I move it, it would open in the middle the next time.

• Hi @sullimander, my understanding is that this is generally our intent. We're trying to understand more about what might trigger Quick Access to not do that, as it has been for some folks. So any information you'd like to share is welcome - anything you notice about when it happens, or anything about your setup you think might be relevant. We'll do our best to get this one worked out ASAP!

• sullimander
    sullimander
    Community Member

I have seen it change positions when I switch from using an external monitor to my laptop display. I usually use my 16" MacBook Pro closed plugged into an Apple Thunderbolt Display, but I've noticed that Quick Access changes position when I unplug my laptop and use it, and sometimes it move again when it gets plugged into the monitor.

Ideally, it would always be centered on the primary display (or the display with the mouse focus).

• PeterG_1P
    edited February 2022

Thanks for this, @sullimander!

I have seen it change positions when I switch from using an external monitor to my laptop display.

That's the most consistent kind of trigger we've seen for this on our end too (although we're still working on the specifics and want to make sure we have as comprehensive an understanding of the issue as we can).

Ideally, it would always be centered on the primary display (or the display with the mouse focus).

I agree! Thanks for letting us know what you've seen with your setup. We'll get to work!

• mikesilva
    mikesilva
    Community Member

I'm having this obnoxious issue as well. Like others have reported, Quick Access will appear at the bottom of my screen, partially off screen, when first instantiated after a reboot.

I'm on a 15" MacBook Pro mid-2015 (if you want screen geometry details, I run at the default scaling). I'm currently on Monterey 12.2, though I've seen this for a couple of months now, through the various 1Password releases/beta releases, and macOS updates. I NEVER use an external monitor. So this occurs without any intervening plugging or un-plugging an external screen.

• Thank you @mikesilva for the details, and we're sorry you've run into this. We'll keep looking into this!

• andmade
    andmade
    Community Member

Mine doesn't move around at all, actually, which is only a slight problem because it means it always appears on whatever monitor it was on last even if you're actively working/typing/clicking on the other monitor. It's not a huge issue for me, it just not really smooth or expected behavior.

• Hey @andmade:

We've made some changes in the beta released on Monday the 7th, that hopefully have improved the state of play for Quick Access and the active monitor. Let me know how it's been for you lately!

Jack

• andmade
    andmade
    Community Member

Hey @Jack.P_1P, QA is now showing up on the active monitor for me now, thank you!

• šŸŽ‰ Thanks for letting us know @andmade.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.