Equivalent to Roboform Bookmarks?

Skolvikings
Skolvikings
Community Member

I'm switching over to 1Password from Roboform. One of my favorite Roboform features is that you can save bookmarks for things that didn't take a login. Then I had all my bookmarks on my iPhone, my home computer, my work computer, my laptop, everywhere.

Is there any way to replicate that functionality with 1Password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Skolvikings

The closest equivalent would be a Login entry with no Username or Password. You could tag them as Bookmark or something, if you'd like to have access to all of these under one location.

Alternatively, you could create a Secure Note entry, adding a custom URL field. Save that empty note, and duplicate it whenever you want a new bookmark. Add the URL to the copy, and re-title it. This method keeps your Bookmarks out of the Login's list.

• Skolvikings
    Skolvikings
    Community Member

@MrC

Thanks for the suggestions!

It's too bad 1Password doesn't have a native bookmark entry option, but I see people have requested it over the years and I'm guessing it's not going to be added if it hasn't already, so I'll just have to make due.

I'll give your suggestions a try and see what sticks.

Thanks again!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2021

You're welcome @Skolvikings ,

The entire "Categories" concept has become a bit stale, and is a relic of the past and early design.

Most of the categories are nothing but templates, containing stock sections and fields. A few of them (e.g. Login, Identity, Credit Card) trigger certain behavior, such as the ability to perform form-filling, or inclusion into search lists in certain browser-level contexts. And finally, the name of the Category acts in part like a Tag, in that you select a Category in the sidebar to see only those items (and this is exactly the purpose of Tags, and hence is redundant). And Folders are gone, supplanted by the more powerful, free-form Tags.

Other than a new Medical Record category (which felt a bit like a Me Too implementation), and a new enterprise-focused API Credential, there really have been no new customer requested categories added. And this is likely because (stock) Categories are often too specific, too limited regionally, never satisfactory to everyone, become dated and obsolete, are too rigid and restrictive (e.g. why do I need a Bank Account entry AND a Login entry for the same bank - users hate this, and it is deeply confusing), and can become too numerous to be user-friendly (one password manager has at least 100 categories, most of which are indistinguishable from each other, and differ in name only).

So the better design, which I believe is in beta testing for business users, is customized Templates. Maybe someday Family and Personal users will see this feature. Until then, we have the Secure Note, and do-it-yourself templates.

This discussion has been closed.