Is a memorable password a better option in this situation?

Options
Kakkoister2
Kakkoister2
Community Member

Hi,

If I have a 50 character random password for my Apple ID specifically, I don't have to type it in much just once, if I set up a new Mac or iPhone, so it hasn't mattered much, but would a memorable password be a better option? If so, how many words is a good equivalent to the 50 character random password? Specifically @Ben or @ag_ana

Thanks all!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2021
    Options

@tomatoshadow2:

I don't have to type it in much just once, if I set up a new Mac or iPhone, so it hasn't mattered much, but would a memorable password be a better option?

For me, anything I need to type even once becomes a memorable password. That is my default choice when I create a new password anyway.

If so, how many words is a good equivalent to the 50 character random password?

I would say 8 words, which generates something that is a bit longer than 50 characters.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Can you have a 50 character password for Apple ID? I seem to remember that when I set up that password 32 characters was the maximum, but maybe that got changed at some point. Anyway I used a five word memorable password.

• Kakkoister2
    Kakkoister2
    Community Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

"For me, anything I need to type even once becomes a memorable password. That is my default choice when I create a new password anyway."

Great advice, thanks, I will remember this for the future of passwords, if I have to type them by hand.

"I would say 8 words, which generates something that is a bit longer than 50 characters."

Would you say then a 15 word memorable password, would be compared to a 100 character random one? Does this provide the same level as security?

"Can you have a 50 character password for Apple ID? I seem to remember that when I set up that password 32 characters was the maximum, but maybe that got changed at some point. Anyway I used a five word memorable password."

Thanks for this, yeah I wanted to change my Apple ID password, to be able to type it in easier haha, then a 50 character random one.

This discussion has been closed.