Setting up older family members with read only vault?

Dilantin
Dilantin
Community Member

Spouse and I use 1PW and it has been great. With our family account, decided to add an older relative to help them out managing their passwords as it was all on paper and the same 5 rehashed passwords only with different years attached to them.

Spent time with them to show them how to use 1PW on their phone, desktop/laptop and we went and changed all accounts to have unique passwords.

Periodically, they "accidentally" make a change on their most used accounts (sometimes making password changes in 1PW but not with the service/account provider themselves). Ive asked them not to change the password in 1PW until they have done so in the account/service itself then to accept the (update login info) banner that pops up.

Every few weeks, when we hang out, I have to fix their "accidental" changes so they are able to log into some of their accounts again. Most times it's their account for the power company or internet provider or whatever.

Is there a way to make their personal vault read only but with the ability to create future accounts? I think the only way I see this working is if I made a shared vault (me + older relative), made it read-only, and moved all the private vault passwords to that one. The problem I see is if it's ready only, they wont be able to create new passwords for accounts they make in the future so they would need another vault and from time to time, I move them to the shared vault so they become read only.

Any ideas on how to fix this other than what I am doing now?

1Password Version: 7.9.828
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Dilantin:

Is there a way to make their personal vault read only but with the ability to create future accounts? I think the only way I see this working is if I made a shared vault (me + older relative), made it read-only, and moved all the private vault passwords to that one.

I think that looking at your requirements this would be the best approach, because allowing them to create future accounts means that the vault cannot be read-only. So you have to choose which one is more important for you: allowing them to create new Login items, or not being able to edit existing ones, and choose accordingly.

This discussion has been closed.