To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

V7 and V8 Question

As you all know i have been vocal about your recent changes to V8 and storing user vaults in the cloud and to be blunt im PISSED with this decision. So before i leave 1P i have one Question.
You offer V7 users the option to trade in there license @ 50% discount for 3 yrs (Don't really have a problem with this as compared to buying a license every 3yrs this sounds like a great deal) can i carry on using V7 to store sensitive files locally?

If this remains an option then i may consider sticking with 1P but if upgrading kills of V7 indefinitely then i guess i really do have no choice.

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I recommend to anyone concerned about local vaults that they fill in the survey at https://survey.1password.com/self-host/

It may come to nothing, AgileBits aren't making any promises, but at least they are considering an option that might work well.

• Memories4Life
    Memories4Life
    Community Member
    edited December 2021

@danco fully aware of this but one needs to make decisions now. Have you any info on my question?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

As far as I am aware, yes, the subscription covers v7 and v8. But best to wait until you get an official response from an AgileBits employee.

• Memories4Life
    Memories4Life
    Community Member

@danco Not sure if i made myself clear here. What im asking is as, Will i still be able to use V7 locally if i trade in my license and upgrade to V8 or will i loose the right to use V7?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I'm sure you won't lose the right to use v7, but best to wait for an official reply.

• Hi @Memories4Life

There are a few ways to answer this, and so I'll try to address all of the various aspects. If I miss any points please let me know and I'll do my best to elaborate. :+1:

We recommend against running standalone vaults at this point. We especially recommend against running standalone vaults alongside a membership. We've found extensive cases where this type of setup leads to confusion, which in turn leads to data loss. Notably we see this because people forget their account password, as they only ever unlock using the Master Password for the standalone vault. Membership is the way forward for 1Password. The intention behind the "trade in" is to get people using the membership. But it sounds like your question was less about what we recommend and more about what is technically possible. :)

It is technically possible to continue running 1Password 7 for Mac at this point. It continues to be supported, and in fact we just released a new beta version on December 23rd. It is also possible to use a standalone vault with 1Password 7 when a membership is added. If you decide to go this route, I would strongly encourage you to print your Emergency Kit, and write your account password on it. It may also be prudent to separately write the Master Password for your standalone vault, even if you set them to be the same, so it is clear these are distinct things and changing one does not change the other. More details on that below.

Get to know your Emergency Kit

In short: there is really no pressure to make immediate changes. If you're happy with 1Password 7, you can continue using it for the forseeable future. It is a great product. 💙 It is possible that changes in operating systems and web browsers will make that impractical down the line, but we're not there now. I'd love to see you move forward with us onto membeship, but I understand if you're not quite ready for that yet.

Ben

• Memories4Life
    Memories4Life
    Community Member

Finally, someone is talking music to my ears. FTR im running 1P on Win10 but i have a mac system running for which im looking to introduce a password solution plus i have iphone too. I have a lot of private data (SW serial codes, passport, D'Licence, birth certificate and aload of other stuff which im just not ready (Confident) to stick onto the cloud. I gonna have to use cloud to sync my basic P'Ws between devices i just need to have a solution (1P7 if pos) to run locally. Being aware of the problems you speak about if i can do this without software (PW7 & PW8) conflicting im happy to stay with you guys. Better the devil you know right.

• I'm glad to hear that advice was helpful. :) If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• Memories4Life
    Memories4Life
    Community Member

@Ben So turns out i have either been seriously mis-informed or you didnt understand what i was looking for.

I have tried to run V7 & V8 on the system and this wont happen because V8 removes V7 unpon install and if i try to re-install v7 i get a notice say there is a newer version on the system. So im either doing this totally wrong or one of the above has occurred?

• @Memories4Life

Running both simultaneously will cause problems with the browser extensions, but if you completely quit one before launching the other it should work okay to have both installed. Again it is not a setup that we recommend, and so there may be some sharp edges, but it is possible. Many of our customer & technical support folks have both installed as we're supporting both versions currently.

Admittedly I've only tried this on Mac, and not on Windows, so I can only speak with confidence about the experiences I've had on that platform. Is it the Mac or the Windows machine you're having trouble with?

Ben

• Memories4Life
    Memories4Life
    Community Member

Hi @Ben, Im using the Windows 10Sys. When i install V8 it overwrites V7 and if i try to re-install v7 i get a message saying a newer version is installed would i like to launch that.

• Thanks for clarifying @Memories4Life. I'm going to consult with some of my colleagues on Windows and see what is possible. In the meantime you might consider giving it a go on the Mac.

Ben

• Memories4Life
    Memories4Life
    Community Member

@ben will do. hear from you soon. :)

• @Memories4Life

It turns out that the Windows installer installs 1Password 7 and 1Password 8 to the same location, so unfortunately it isn't possible to have both installed within the same user account. Because the installation is per-user it may be possible to install v7 under one user account and v8 under a separate user account. This guide from Microsoft may help if you're interested in trying that:

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows

Again we're in somewhat unexplored territory here, so caveat emptor. Would be interested to hear how it turns out if you give it a shot. :)

Ben

• Memories4Life
    Memories4Life
    Community Member

HI @Ben

Creating another user account is more an inconvenience than a solution so ill give than option a miss. I have tried using my PC vault on the Mac but couldn't import and i don't have a V7 License for the Mac. I also tried using V7 to log onto the Cloud account but 1P blocked that option (there's a surprise :p ) So it looks like i have run out of options here. I need to go away and re-thing my approach to this which TBH looks like ill have to move to another P'w Manager :'( . Thanks for your help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Understood @Memories4Life, sorry to hear that. And on behalf of Ben, you are very welcome. We are here if you have any questions :+1:

• Memories4Life
    Memories4Life
    Community Member
    edited December 2021

@ag_ana @Ben

I have decided to close my account and move away from to another PW manager. The reason is simple, i wanted my data to be stored locally and i wanted to be in charge of what i stored in the cloud and 1P stole those options away from me. TBH this is a sad day :( as i been using your PM for some 7-8yrs but i guess all good things MUST come to an end, i strongly believe this day could & should have been avoided.

Wish you guys well for the future... :'(

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

We appreciate the update @Memories4Life, thank you. Sorry to see you go, but we hope you will find another password manager that works for you. No matter which one you choose, please stay safe online. And if you change your mind anytime, you know where to find us :)

All the best to you too!

This discussion has been closed.