Trying to edit a record from the Safari extension tries to open 1Password 7

Options
efenner
efenner
Community Member
edited December 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I am trying to use the 1Password8 beta, but still have 1Password 7 installed on my computer. 1Password 7 has been quit completely, but 1Password 8 Beta is running in the menubar and is unlocked. I have disabled the Safari extension that was shipped as a part of 1Password 7.

After previewing a record in the extension (accessed by clicking on the toolbar icon and then searching for and selecting the record), trying to edit the record (by clicking the "..." and then "Edit" option) pops up a window from 1Password 7 asking me to unlock with my master password. I have to select the Quit Completely option or else I end up with both versions of 1password running at once. Even if I do unlock 1Password 7, the record that I am trying to edit does not open.

It seems that the view of a record opened by the Quick Open menu does not have an edit button, so the only way to edit the record is to manually open the full 1Password app, search for the record and then edit there.

1Password Version: 8.5.0
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: macOS 12.1
Referrer: forum-search:edit in safari extension tries to open 1password 7

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @efenner ,
    Having both 1Password 7 and 1Password 8 installed might cause such side effects.

If you don't want to remove 1Password 7 yet, simply right-click the app in the Applications folder and zip/archive it, then keep it in its zipped form and delete the actual app. That'll make 1Password 8 the only active 1Password app on the system and things should work well.

Whenever you need/want 1Password 7 back, simply unzip it, then zip/archive 1Password 8.

• efenner
    efenner
    Community Member
    Options

That workaround did seem to solve the issue I was having. Trying to edit an item no longer opens 1Password 7

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That is good to hear @efenner, thank you for the update :)

This discussion has been closed.