New extension for Safari on iPad doesn’t work

Hoelder
Hoelder
Community Member

I‘m using 1Password since for quite some time on my iPad without the extension for Safari. In the 1Password news I saw the message about the Safari extension and activated it. But it doesn’t work.

If I tap on the 1Password symbol in the address line a „dialog“ opens but doesn’t load. It hangs even If I wait for 5-10 minutes. See screen shot.

Furthermore, Safari crashes after some time if the extension is activated.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall 1Password on my iPad - didn’t help.

What can I do?

1Password Version: 7.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 15.0.1

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Hoelder!

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your iOS device and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• Hoelder
    Hoelder
    Community Member

Hi ag_ana, I sent via the 1Password app an email to the support. Unfortunately, there was no option „send requested report“ or alike. So I create a new (?) ticket. But I didn’t get any ticket no nor got an email with a confirmation of my inquiry.

• Thanks @Hoelder. I was able to locate your emails in our system and have moved them to the correct spot to get them the appropriate attention. The team will be investigating and will reach back out to you via email as soon as they have further information.

Ben

ref: WAN-96218-368

• Hoelder
    Hoelder
    Community Member

Thanks, Ben!

• You're very welcome. :)

Ben

• Hoelder
    Hoelder
    Community Member

Hi @Ben
    Do you have news on this issue? The 1Password extension still doesn’t work on my iPad.

best
    Daniel

• geoff2
    geoff2
    Community Member

Hello — just commenting to note I’m having the identical problem. On my iPad sometimes the 1Password Safari integration works because 1Password is logged in, other times it does not because I’m not logged in, if I’m not logged in I can’t log in, and it’s not clear when or why I’m logged in or not.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Hoelder, @geoff2:

Thank you for the updates. I see that our developers are still investigating, so hopefully they will be able to get to the bottom of this soon :+1:

ref: apple-5510

• byndpass
    byndpass
    Community Member

The Safari extension no longer works for iPad OS for any of our Family or Team devices as well. It previously worked at launch, but with the latest update, there is now only a button that says “Open 1Password” which doesn’t function—it just opens the Safari start page.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@byndpass:

Since you mentioned an update, what version of the 1Password app are you using right now, and on what version of iOS?

• byndpass
    byndpass
    Community Member
    edited November 2021

iPad OS 15.1, 1Password 7.9.3

Update: Disabling the extension, restarting the iPad, then re-enabling the extension seems to restore functionality on affected iPad devices.

• byndpass
    byndpass
    Community Member

iPad OS Safari extension bug update:

The extension stopped working after about 24 hours and resorted back to the Open 1Password button that opens a new Safari start page instead of the app.

The only fix is to manually disable the 1Password Safari extension, force close Safari, force close the 1Password app, and re-enable the extension.

• schalker
    schalker
    Community Member

Hi there, any news on this bug? I have the same problem as the @byndpass mentioned, clicking on the extension, …

… there is now only a button that says “Open 1Password” which doesn’t function—it just opens the Safari start page

This is really annoying and I’d love to see an update (running the latest iOS 15.2 and 1Password 7.9.3)

• @byndpass and @schalker

I'm sorry to hear that you're still running into the issue. You both mentioned that tapping on the Open 1Password button just opens a new tab in Safari. Do either of you have external keyboards connected to your iPad? If you do then can you disconnect them and then try to unlock 1Password for Safari again?

ref: dev/core/core#9873

• byndpass
    byndpass
    Community Member

@Dave_1P yes, the external keyboard prevents 1Password from opening. Removing the keyboard will launch the app as expected, but when returning to Safari, the extension remains locked and doesn’t function.

Everything works flawlessly on the iPhone (outside of pulling content from all vaults and ignoring excluded vaults—but hopefully that will be addressed in a future update).

• @byndpass It sounds like you might have actually run into a mix of two different issues that we're currently investigating: the first issue being one where an external keyboard attached to an iPad prevents the main 1Password app from opening in certain situations; the second issue one where the connection between the main 1Password app and 1Password for Safari is broken. Can you try these steps to workaround both issues:

1. Disconnect your external keyboard from your iPad.
    2. Fully close Safari on iOS.
    3. Fully close 1Password on iOS.
    4. Open and unlock the main 1Password app from your home screen.
    5. Open Safari and go to any webpage.
    6. Tap on the 1Password icon in the address bar.
    7. Follow the prompt to unlock 1Password for Safari with your account password.

Let me know how it goes. :)

ref: dev/core/core#9873

ref: dev/core/core#11334

• byndpass
    byndpass
    Community Member

Thanks, @Dave_1P. Yes, I tried this from another post and had success before, but as an avid user of the Magic Keyboard with the iPad Pro, the problem returns after a short while, so I'm just using the previous autofill functionality, since it also respects excluded vaults and doesn't show logins from all the shared vaults across our Families and Business accounts.

• @byndpass Thank you for reporting back. I'm sorry to hear that the issue continues to return. I've added everyone's reports from this thread to our internal work items for the issues and hopefully this will be resolved with a future update.

In the meantime, the best workarounds are either the steps listed in my previous post or by using Password AutoFill as you mentioned doing. :)

• brettATL
    brettATL
    Community Member

Was this issue ever resolved?

• Dave_1P
    edited June 2022

@brettATL

Thank you for following up. There are a few different issues mentioned in this thread, can you clarify which issue you're referring to?

This discussion has been closed.