The application “1Password 7.app” is not open anymore.

ShaneKeller
ShaneKeller
Community Member

Every time I restart my computer, 1Password does not open when clicking on the Application icon on the Dock and Applications folder. I receive this error when my MacBook has been on for a long time.

Here is the error: "The application “1Password 7.app” is not open anymore."

I have the most recent version of 1Password:

I have to shut down 1Password using "Activity Monitor" every time.

I can see on multiple forums (including this one) that this is a common problem.

Is this bug going to be fixed?

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS Monterey 12.1

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ShaneKeller!

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• ShaneKeller
    ShaneKeller
    Community Member

Thank you. I downloading the tool now.

I will post the link to the support ticket number later. Thank you.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good @ShaneKeller, thank you!

• jacks
    jacks
    Community Member

hi - is there any update to this issue?

keep having to reinstall 1Password for it to open - same issue as the original poster.

thanks
    /jacks

• jirsbek
    jirsbek
    Community Member

Hello there, I'm having exactly the same problem as OP. Quiting 1Password.app in Activity Monitor works well. 1Pass (7.9.2) has been installed from App Store, MBP 16" M1 with macOS 12.1. I didn't have this problem on previous MBP 16" 2019.

• Alvin.L_1P
    edited January 2022

Hi @jacks and @jirsbek 👋

@jacks:

While we investigate this issue further, here is our suggested workaround:

1. In the Finder, click Go menu > Utilities.
    2. Open Activity Monitor and click the CPU tab.
    3. Search for "1Password"
    4. Select all matching processes with ⌘–A or Edit menu > Select All.
    5. Click the 🛑 force quit button in the toolbar and Force Quit.
    6. When all processes disappear, reopen 1Password normally.

I hope that helps!

@jirsbek:

Thanks for letting us know. As of this writing, we do not have any updates regarding the issue, but as you've mentioned, quitting 1Password.app in Activity Monitor will work and is currently our suggested workaround.

ref: apple-5581

• ShaneKeller
    ShaneKeller
    Community Member

This issue is still happening for me. Hoping for an update to the app soon.

• Alvin.L_1P
    edited January 2022

Hi @ShaneKeller 👋

My apologies for the ongoing issue. We've had some users report that using the beta version of the 1Password for Mac app helped resolve the issue. If you're able to, can you try updating to our latest beta version to see if that helps?

Install a beta release of the 1Password app

• ShaneKeller
    ShaneKeller
    Community Member

@Alvin.L_1P I will give the beta a try and let you know. Thank you for the suggestion!

• On behalf of Alvin, you're very welcome @ShaneKeller! :smile:

• ShaneKeller
    ShaneKeller
    Community Member

So far so good - @jack.platten & @Alvin.L_1P

• That's great news! Thanks so much for the update @ShaneKeller

• ShaneKeller
    ShaneKeller
    Community Member

@jack.platten & @Alvin.L_1P -- The 7.9.3 Beta still does not solve the issue:

• Hey @ShaneKeller:

Thanks for the update, and I'm sorry you're still running into issues here. We're still working on getting to the bottom of this, so for the meantime, the workaround provided above by Alvin would be your best bet.

Jack

• BrianinPNW
    BrianinPNW
    Community Member

You'll have to add me to the "I also have this problem" list. The workaround of force quitting from the Activity Monitor works for now.
    I'm using a 2016 15" MBP with macOS 12.1

1Password 7
    Version 7.9.2 (70902004)
    Mac App Store

• Hi @BrianinPNW:

Thanks for letting us know. As Alvin mentioned, using the beta version of 1Password might improve your state of play: Use 1Password beta releases

Jack

• kirkmc
    kirkmc
    Community Member

I've just had this problem for the first time. 1Password 7.9.2, M1 iMac. Force quitting in Activity Monitor fixed it, but I have never seen this for 1Password or any other app before.

• mjbradley88
    mjbradley88
    Community Member

Is there a resolution for this issue yet? I have just started having the same problem.

• @mjbradley88

I'm sorry that you're running into this issue. Can you try the steps that my colleague Alvin posted above? Here's the link.

Let me know how it goes. :)

• Gustavo_BZ
    Gustavo_BZ
    Community Member

I am having this issue too since I update to 7.9.2 . I can only open the 1 password in menu tab and the extension of safari otherwise not open for me . I have an MacBook Air M1 with Macos 12.2.

• Hi @Gustavo_BZ:

I'm sorry that you're having trouble with 1Password. Can you try the steps posted by my colleague Alvin? Here's the link: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/624922/#Comment_624922

Let me know how it goes! 😀

Jack

• chmod700
    chmod700
    Community Member

I'm on a Mac Studio (as of today) with 7.9.4 and it is happening to me, too. I did not have the problem on my old Mac Pro 6,1.

The workaround did work, I'm just reporting it.

Note that I used 1PW all day and it didn't happen. It only started happening after I enabled "unlock with Apple watch" so if I was a gambler I'd bet that it's related to the watch unlock.

Cheers.

• Thanks so much for letting us know @chmod700 !

• ShaneKeller
    ShaneKeller
    Community Member

I purchased a new MacBook Pro M1 Pro and that problem continues to persist on all of my Macs. I do not have an Apple Watch. So I doubt that is related.

• @ShaneKeller

Has 1Password recently updated? We recently released version 7.9.4. You may have received it. It may be that something did not quit properly. What I have found in my own use is if I quit any browsers and then quit 1Password from the menu bar you should be able to open 1Password again without that pesky message. I can open the app after doing this and no need for a restart. We don't receive details on this message in diagnostic reports as it is coming straight from Finder. My apologies for the trouble. You could also try the steps above but this is my personal workflow that fits me better.

Please let me know if this helps you too.

• Tinue
    Tinue
    Community Member

Hello, same problem here. It happens when 1Password is running (visible in the tool bar), and then one tries to start it again via e.g. Command-Space or from the Launchpad.
    It still can be opened fully from the toolbar, though. It can also be fully closed from the toolbar, and then a start via Command-Space works.
    It's just that I am so used to use Command-Space that it is annoying when this does not work. The version is 7.9.4, by the way.

• Tinue
    Tinue
    Community Member

Correction: ... It happens when 1Password Mini is running ..

• ShaneKeller
    ShaneKeller
    Community Member

The same issue continues to happen with a new MacBook Pro with both MacOS and 1Password updated to the latest version.

• I'm sorry to hear that you're both still running into the issue. @Tinue Thank you for letting us know that the menubar icon still works on your Mac when the issue occurs, that's something that our developers wanted to double-check and I'll pass along your report to them.

@ShaneKeller The next time that you see the error message can you please dismiss the message and then right-click on the 1Password menubar icon and click Open 1Password. Does the 1Password app open or do you see the same error message?

I look forward to hearing from you. 😊

• ShaneKeller
    ShaneKeller
    Community Member
    edited April 2022

I get the same error "The application “1Password 7.app” is not open anymore" on the first try.

If I close it and open it using CTRL-Mouse Click and select open (I use a MAC), I still get the exact same issue: "The application “1Password 7.app” is not open anymore."

This discussion has been closed.