To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Need help to simplify 1PASSWORD old apps and extensions

Ed Stamas
Ed Stamas
Community Member

I am currently using the beta version 8.5 of 1password. My problem is when I open 1 password on my mac using my master password and try to open a login, I get another window to enter my master password again. I have old 1 password versions 4 and 7 in my applications folder. I also have two extension icons on the top of my mac where the icons for volume and Bluetooth are and another extension icon on my Safari v15.2 window. The extension versions are 2.14 and 7.92 and another one that I can't find the version for. When I uncheck the extension in preferences, the icon still seems to stay on my computer. It is confusing which icon to use and I'm not sure which icon is the latest one. Can you please recommend a way to simplify all this without losing any support data?

1Password Version: 8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.1

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2022

Hi @Ed Stamas

I'd be happy to help with that. First, to this point:

Can you please recommend a way to simplify all this without losing any support data?

Let's make sure all of your 1Password data is stored safely within your account, and that you have those credentials handy. To do so please sign in at https://my.1password.com/signin?a=new. It will be helpful if you have your Emergency Kit printed and filled in:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

If you don't have that yet, once you're signed in, you can print one. After you've signed in please make sure all of your data is accessible in the web app. That way we can make changes to the apps/extensions on your Mac without any fear of affecting your data.

Once you've verified everything is safely within your account, I'd recommend the following:

• Quit all running copies of 1Password completely. Open 1Password 7 and select 1Password > Preferences. On the Browsers tab, deselect the "Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running" option. Then quit 1Password 7 completely. Right-click on 1Password 7 icon in the menu bar at the top right of your screen and select Quit 1Password Completely. If 1Password 8 is running right click its icon in the menu bar and quit it as well. [screenshot]
    • Verify all aspects of 1Password have quit. I'd recommend doing this by opening the Activity Monitor app (can be found with Spotlight) and doing a search for 1Password. Select all of the results (Command+A / ⌘A) , and then click the stop (circled X) button. [screenshot]
    • Quit Safari if it is running
    • Move all except the latest version of 1Password from the /Applications folder to the Trash.
    • Reboot the Mac
    • Empty the Trash
    • Remove all 1Password extensions from your browsers except v2.1.4
    • Right click on the 1Password extension icon in your browser and select Settings [screenshot]
    • Make sure the "integrate with 1Password app" option under the general section is enabled [screenshot]
    • Launch 1Password 8 and make sure 1Password > Preferences > Browser > Connect with 1Password in the browser is enabled [screenshot]

At this point you should only have one 1Password app and extension installed and they should lock and unlock together. Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

P.S. I'm going to add a couple follow-on posts with screenshots illustrating some of these instructions. :+1:

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2022

Quitting 1Password 8:

(if 1Password 7 is also running it should have a similar icon in the same area)

[Back to instructions]

Ben

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2022

Activity Monitor:

[Back to instructions]

Ben

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2022

1Password in the browser settings:

[Back to instructions]

Ben

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2022

Integration option within 1Password in the browser:

[Back to instructions]

Ben

• Integration setting within 1Password 8 app:

[Back to instructions]

Ben

• Ed Stamas
    Ed Stamas
    Community Member

Ben,

Thank you very much for this help! I went through the process and I now have the main 1password icon (v8.5) in my dashboard and I have an extension v2.14 in Safari and another at the top of my mac. And only two icons in my apps folder, the v8.5 and the safari ext. They all seem to link me to the same place. Your instructions and screen shots were really helpful, thanks again.

Ed

• So glad to hear it, @Ed Stamas. :) If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.