To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Do I need to upgrade my license to get 1Password 8?

2»

Comments

• @jazzman

🎉😀

One other thing.....do you shut down your browser every time you sign out of a website?

I generally don't sign out of websites or close my browser except for updates.

Ben

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

@Ben

The reason I asked you that question is that I had the idea somehow that it was always wise to exit your browser when signing out of a website for security reasons. Any thoughts on that? Is that just incorrect info?

• I believe that notion is likely a hold-over from HTTP Basic Authentication, which is no longer commonly used, outside of some niche situations:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_access_authentication

But I also don't find it necessary to log out of websites, generally at all, for my use case. As such your mileage may vary.

Ben

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

@Ben

Good advice, Ben. Thanks. By the way, if you are an Apple guy, do you use 1Pass on your iOS devices?. Just wondering.

• Hey, sorry for the delay, @jazzman. I do use 1Password on a variety of Macs, an iPhone, and a few iPads.

Ben

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

@Ben

Hey, Ben. Do you use it in your browser on your iOS devices just like your Mac? Using 1Pass in my browser has opened up a whole new world for me. It has simplified everything. I appreciate all the encouragement. :)

• I use both 1Password for Safari and Password AutoFill, depending on which is more convenient/available at the time. But yes, 1Password for Safari has definitely been a game changer. :+1:

Ben

• PeeWordz
    PeeWordz
    Community Member

Hello 1P folk,

What about people already on a plan - in my case a (wonderful!) "Family Plan"?

My plan is not up for renewal until June, so I have a few questions:

1: I presume there is an upgrade path and cost?
    2: Does this bring the renewal time forward?
    3: Is there a generous discount (such as the 50% off for migrators) to upgrade from 7 to 8?

Thank you.

• @PeeWordz

There is no additional cost to move from 1Password 7 to 1Password 8 if you have a membership (including 1Password Families). The latest versions of all of our 1Password client apps are included with membership. 😊

Ben

• PeeWordz
    PeeWordz
    Community Member

Thanks to Ben for the clarification.

• You're very welcome. 😊

Ben

• Antos
    Antos
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

Simply, I dont't want a (new) subscription, So I still use 1password6 as long as will not possible to use the a new 1password whithout a subscription.
    When 1password 6 will not work anymore with new systems and If 1Password still wants a subscription, it is so sad, but I will move to another product. I hope 1password will think to all the users that not want a subscription and want to use dropbox or icloud to store the database.
    These feature made 1password great, without these features many users will left 1password.
    This is my thought and it is the thought of many other users.

• Kakkoister2
    Kakkoister2
    Community Member

@antos Have you tried 1PW 8? It’s really great, it is the way now. I wouldn’t recommend you stay on 1PW 6, as the team has pointed out it’s at your own risk now, especially since 1PW is security software, you want to make sure you’re using the latest version. Remember with a 1PW membership all future upgrades are included, you get automatic backups of all your data. For myself a 1PW membership does everything right.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2022

@Antos

I hope 1password will think to all the users that not want a subscription and want to use dropbox or icloud to store the database.

My apologies, but that is not the direction we're headed. These thoughts have been well hashed out, and the future determined. 1Password membership is the way forward with 1Password. Two posts I'd recommend reading, that cover these subjects extensively:

I'd be happy to talk about how modern versions of 1Password can best fit into your workflow. As tomatoshadow2 mentioned there are a number of advantages. If that isn't the path you're looking to travel: I'm sorry but this seems to be where we part ways. If you change your mind, we'll be here to help.

Ben

• PeeWordz
    PeeWordz
    Community Member

I constantly see the arguments of people who loved 1Password up until it became a subscription model. Sure, I understand subscriptions are annoying but, I’m willing to go down that route to have my passwords and identity secured.

I think most objectors also do not like the fact their data is tied up on dedicated AgileBits servers – perhaps AgileBits could ‘educate’ objectors more on the pros of this route. If safety is the main thing a user wants with their password manager, surely that trumps paying for a subscription?

• Hey @PeeWordz

For sure. I'd love it if everyone would read:

Additionally I think an important point many people miss is that access to your 1Password data does not rely on an active connection to 1Password.com. If you (or we) are offline, the apps will happily continue to work from locally cached data. It isn't like the old client/server days where if you weren't connected to the server you couldn't do anything. In this regard, nothing much really changes from the Dropbox/iCloud model. Your changes won't sync between devices without an active connection, but your encrypted data is all kept on your devices in addition to on 1Password.com.

Ben

• bordenb
    bordenb
    Community Member

I remember when Quicken did not move to a sub model and wound up with a product that did not work anymore. After searching for a replacement for years, I was so happy when they finally got the product upgraded and now I am happy to pay the sub fee. Software is not free, and keeping it up to date is expensive.

• @jazzman (Jumping in for Ben here)

You can leave your browser open. There's no good security reason to close it after signing out of a particular website. In fact, unless someone else uses your computer, you most likely don't even need to worry about deliberately signing out of websites. Websites like your bank (or 1Password.com) will almost certainly sign you out automatically after a brief period of inactivity, so that won't make much difference anyway. And for other websites like online stores, signing out means you'll just have to sign back in again.

The same goes for clearing cookies, by the way – there's no measurable security benefit in doing this, and you'll have to sign into all your websites again, so it's more of an inconvenience than anything else.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

@GreyM1P

Thank you.

• @jazzman

On behalf of Grey, you're very welcome. 😊

This discussion has been closed.