1Password 8 doesnt use same password as 7?

Options

I loaded up 8 Beta, and since the app is running in the bar side by side I can launch both. 1Pass 7 log in password works but doesnt work in 8. I'm sure I'm using the correct password as I looking at the pass word and I have tried cut and paste

1Password Version: 8 Beta
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 11.6
Referrer: forum-search:password

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @ExC0nd2

1Password 8 may indeed unlock a little differently than 1Password 7, depending on your configuration. With 1Password 7 the way unlocking 1Password works is:

• If a Primary vault exists 1Password will always unlock using the Master Password for that vault. This supersedes all of the following rules.
    • If a single 1Password.com account is logged in then 1Password will unlock using the Master Password for that account.
    • If multiple 1Password.com accounts are logged in then 1Password will unlock using the Master Password of the first account that was added.

With 1Password 8, the account password for each signed-in account is needed to unlock that account. I'd describe the way 1Password 7 worked as the app unlocking. With 1Password 8 it is each account that unlocks, rather than the app as a whole. As such you'd use the same account password to unlock your account in 1Password 8 as you use with our web app at https://my.1password.com/. A few questions that may help us sort this out:

1. In 1Password 7 do you see a vault named "Primary"?
    2. Have you already signed into your account in 1Password 8, and now you're trying to unlock, or are you signing in for the first time?
    3. Are you able to access your account using the https://my.1password.com web app?

Please let me know. Thank you!

Ben

• ExC0nd2
    ExC0nd2
    Community Member
    Options

iPassword7 password + 2FA works well.

I only have one account, with several vaults (but it sounds like the quantity of vaults is irrelevant). So I think there is ONLY the primary. I dont see 'Primary' Anywhere but its safe to assume it is primary, or at least thats what is intended

I can log into https://my.1password.com/ just fine.

If I launch 8 and then try to navigate to the web page it sends me to : https://start.1password.com/native/signin where I cant validate with email, key and password? Is this a sandbox for beta trial? I try to , 'Choose an account to add to 1Password' and it redirects me to open my 1Password7 application again.

• Jack.P_1P
    edited December 2021
    Options

Hi @ExC0nd2:

It sounds like it may be helpful to zip up 1Password 7 temporarily while you get signed into 1Password 8. Open your Applications folder, then right click on 1Password 7, and select compress. After compressing 1Password 7, move the remaining 1Password 7.app to the Trash. After doing this, try signing in again to 1Password 8 and let us know how it goes. Generally speaking, we'd recommend not having both 1Password 7 and 1Password 8 on your Mac at the same time.

Jack

• wbauer
    wbauer
    Community Member
    Options

Same here, I can't log in with 1password 8 beta (mac).
    web app login works, versions on iPad and iPhone work as well.
    login doesn't accept my master password, one primary vault used.
    back to version 7 for now - pity.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wbauer:

When you tried to unlock the app, did you enter the password for your Primary vault, or for the vault of your 1Password.com account (the one you use to login on the web app)?

• wbauer
    wbauer
    Community Member
    Options

I tried both passwords but both get rejected.

• Ben
    Options

Hey @wbauer

Had you previously signed into 1Password 8 for Mac, or have you never been successful in adding your account to that version? We've found what appears to be a bug in the v8 for Mac beta that prevents some folks from being able to sign in.

Ben

• wbauer
    wbauer
    Community Member
    Options

I was not able to sign into 1Password 8 for Mac at all. The account name/email, secret and password are correct as it works on the web...

• Ben
    Options

I'm afraid you're likely running up against the bug I referenced, in that case. At the moment there is no workaround (other than using 1Password 7, my.1password.com, and/or 1Password in the browser), but I've flagged this as a high priority issue for our engineering team when they return from the holidays. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Ben

• ExC0nd2
    ExC0nd2
    Community Member
    Options

ok. I tried compressing the 7 application file and I still cannot get in. I'll wait for an update.

• stacecom
    stacecom
    Community Member
    Options

I had previously been able to sign in, but lost that ability. Is that aligned with the bug you mention? 1Password7 is working just fine (as is the website) on this computer. On my other computers, the 8 beta is working just fine as well.

• Hi @stacecom - very sorry to hear you've encountered a sign-in problem. Would you be able to send us a quick email (with a link to this thread) at support@1Password.com? That way, we can do some more system-specific troubleshooting for you, figure out exactly what issue you may have encountered, and expedite your time to a solution. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.