Working with Documents feature of 1P

Options
jasimon9
jasimon9
Community Member
edited December 2021 in Mac

I am confused about how the documents function is supposed to work.

This is what I did:
1. In 1P, click File > New Item > Document
2. Select a test document on the Desktop

What I would expect to happen:
1. A new document item is created in 1P by moving the original into 1P.
2. The original document is deleted because it has been moved.
3. The new item is encrypted inside 1P.
4. The new item is viewable inside 1P.
5. The new item can be downloaded from 1P and is decrypted in the process.

What actually happens.
1. A new document item is created in 1P
2. The original document remains where it was. (Of course, it would be possibly safer not to delete the original, but adds extra steps because the user has to delete the item because there is no good use case for duplication of items.)
3. Not sure what is really happening with the encryption. There is a "Show in Finder" function. When I use that to see where the new 1P item is stored, navigate to that item, and inspect it, I find that it is actually in plain text. No encryption. If I close 1P, the item is still in plain text.
4. There is a function called "Delete Local Copy". I was thinking that might be to delete the original. But that is not what it does. Maybe it has to do with viewing the Document inside 1P, and then getting rid of the decrypted, viewed item. But that seems like something that should not be necessary or should be automatic. I never have to delete any local copies when viewing any other 1P item, such as a login or secure note. And I am not sure if "Delete Local Copy" is actually even doing anything, let alone anything useful.

So I do not understand the following:
1. What is the benefit of "copying" documents into 1P rather than "moving" them?
2. Does 1P actually encrypt documents? It appears not.
3. Does "Delete Local Copy" have any purpose? Not sure what that is.

I could use 1P to streamline workflows if I understood these things better.

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.7

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jasimon9!

1. What is the benefit of "copying" documents into 1P rather than "moving" them?

Moving from from and to where? Do you mean from your file system?

1. Does 1P actually encrypt documents? It appears not.

It does, everything you store in 1Password is encrypted. If you download documents to your local computer (Show in Finder), a copy will be decrypted.

1. Does "Delete Local Copy" have any purpose? Not sure what that is.

It deletes the local copy of the document you downloaded from the 1Password servers to view it offline :+1:

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

It seems that if you want to use 1P to securely store documents, you would want to remove the original version of the file, unless your use case requires that you keep it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jasimon9:

Interesting, thank you for sharing your view on this. I don't believe I have ever heard this request before, so I am going to pass your suggestion to the team for discussion :+1:

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

I received a direct email from Dayton ("Sherlock of Support"), which references another ticket, but is actually another response to this question, where more details are given and similar to your answer above.

As a follow up to that email, I would still ask about the need to "Delete Local Copy":

1. If "Delete Local Copy" is not done, does that result in additional encrypted or unencrypted copies of the document in the file system?
    2. What would be a good workflow? That is, should "Delete Local Copy" be needed routinely to clean things up?
    3. Is there some Automatic cleanup done by 1P on the local copies?
  • @jasimon9

Locking 1Password will remove the local copy. Folks may prefer to remove the local copy before locking 1Password. That is when the remove local copy button would likely be used. Yes, as the app is locked all local copies are removed. You can verify this by downloading and viewing a copy of the item in the special location. Then lock 1Password, and the item will be removed.

• Once you move the file from the location within 1Password it is outside of our control and you would need to take appropriate precautions. As long as the file stays in the location revealed with the Show in Finder button. Clean up will be automatic.
  • ag_tommy
    edited January 2022
    Options

Please continue the discussion you have with us via email. We are working to answer everyone as quickly as possible. Actually either is fine. I am just looking to expedite replies due to the holidays. Cheers!

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the clarification. It appears that in my case no special workflows would need to be added, as the locking handles it.

This discussion has been closed.