Search broken on Linux, works great on other platforms

jewelengineering
jewelengineering
Community Member

On Mac and Windows versions of 1Password (desktop application) search works great. You type in a part of a word or name and it filters the list to show only relevant matches. On Linux (Kubuntu, at least) instead of filtering the results it shows a list directly under the text entry box (and those items are generally irrelevant) and the long list of items is not reduced. If you manage to match the text of an item name exactly, it will highlight it in the list after pressing enter, but never filters the item list like it does on other platforms. Can we get this fixed? I'm beginning to use Linux more all the time and this makes 1Password very difficult to use, so I end up loading search results on my phone and typing it manually, making for a lot of typing errors with long random passwords.

1Password Version: 8.4.1 (80401002 PRODUCTION)
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: Linux Kubuntu 5.11.0-41-generic x86_64

Comments

• PeterG_1P
    edited December 2021

Hi @jewelengineering, thanks for the feedback here. The search functionality in 1Password 8 (not just Linux, as it happens, but across platforms) is an area of ongoing improvement, so we're happy to accept your suggestions here. I have passed your comments on to our developers so that they can inform the iteration process going forward. Thank you for letting us know about your experience!

• jewelengineering
    jewelengineering
    Community Member

Search in 1Password 8 is a complete disaster as of the current version (December 2021). Unless you know the exact name of the item you are searching for, it does not return helpful results. Searching for a partial name or sub-string doesn't work like it did in 1Password 7. Is it possible to install 1Password7 on Linux, because version 8 is nearly useless to me at this point. Please pass this along -- even if this "new search" is considered better by someone (can't imagine who would) please add a preference to revert to the previous version 7 search functionality. If this isn't fixed and I am ever forced to move to version 8, I'm going to be stuck moving thousands of credentials to some other password manager, because the current version is more a hindrance to my workflow than a help. I don't mean to be harsh, but just stating the reality that I face with a product that I use constantly and don't want to have to migrate away from.

• Hi @jewelengineering, thanks for the follow-up here (and my apologies for the delay in responding).

Your feedback is both welcome and well-taken. We want to make sure that you have a smooth and intuitive experience with 1Password 8, and I'm sorry to hear that the search functionality hasn't met your needs in its current form.

As I mentioned, this is definitely an area of ongoing improvement for us, so you can expect that search functionality will be improving and changing as we go forward - and we've already started queuing up requests and suggestions on how to make it better. I hear what you're saying about the substring search in particular, and this is something I personally filed an issue for with our developers not long ago. I'll hope to have more for you on this as things develop (so to speak).

Is it possible to install 1Password7 on Linux, because version 8 is nearly useless to me at this point.

It is not, because there is no 1Password 7 for Linux app - 1Password 8 is our first foray onto this platform.

However, if you're already using 1Password 7 on other devices and that implementation of the search feature is important to you (as it sounds like it is), my suggestion would be to keep using search there if you can while we continue to improve. Because your 1Password data syncs between devices, you should have the same set of items everywhere - only it'll be differently searchable on the devices where you're using 1Password 7.

In the meantime, I have added your request for more 1Password 7-like search functionality to our 1Password 8 search feature project. I hope this reply has been helpful, and that the updates to come will be greatly to your liking!

ref: dev/core/core#10777

This discussion has been closed.