Section information hidden

sdg
sdg
Community Member

Hi there - Been having a problem for a long time that I'm just getting to writing about. I store challenge questions as passwords in custom sections. So I'll create a section called Challenge questions, have the label be the question, and then have 1Password generate a password for me that I use as the answer. The problem is that if I generate, say, 3 question and answer pairs, only the first will show with the 1Password entry. The second and third are only visible in edit mode.

This problem persists across the Mac app, the menu bar version, safari version, and iOS versions of the app. Is this expected? It certainly makes it harder to answer challenge questions when I have to go into edit mode for an entry.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.6.1

Comments

• @sdg

Can you check the 2nd and 3rd item to ensure they contain data in the concealed field. If that field does not contain data it will be hidden.

• sdg
    sdg
    Community Member

Yikes well that is actually terrifying to me. They don't have data, but they show dots as if they do. But they are there because I created a password value and copied it out to the form for the website to save as the answer to the challenge question. So it seems like they may have an answer to a challenge question that I don't have. Has there ever been any trouble with this area of the app? It's always been a little scary of a place to me, as setting a section item to "password", and then clicking the gear icon creates a password, but clicking the gear icon again changes it. If I want to set up answers to several challenge questions at once, what's the safest order of operations?

• Hey @sdg

We have improvements around this planned for 1Password 8, which is currently in beta for Mac.

Create unique answers to security questions

In the meantime 1Password.com does store item history if you ever accidentally overwrite a value:

View and restore previous versions of items

Ben

This discussion has been closed.