Create new login in browser without inline menu

Options
atcb
atcb
Community Member
edited December 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

The UX for saving a new login while going through a website’s signup flow is so bad when you don’t use the new inline menu functionality that I’m confident I must be doing something wrong. But first, my justification for not wanting to use the inline menu: the UI is unusable in Safari unless you also turn off all autofill features built into Safari:

I’m unwilling to disable the contact autofill in Safari because replacing it with 1password’s inline menu adds an extra click/keypress due to the “Click OK to fill...” dialog.

So, without using the inline menu, what is the intended UX for saving a new login as you sign up for a service? I just used my signing up for 1Password Community as an example. I filled in my email with Safari’s autofill, typed my username manually, and then got to the password field. I want to use a random password generated by 1P, so I ⌘\ or click the extension icon in Safari’s toolbar. Here’s what I get:

After clicking “Generate Password,” I get this:

Clicking “Save and Copy” not only copies it to my clipboard; it also autofills the password fields on the page. All this is great.

Except, 1Password did not create a “login,” it created a “password” that lacks the username data. I was never able to enter it manually, it didn’t detect my manual input from the form, I never had a chance to enter it into 1P and fill from there instead, and it doesn’t offer to save the login when I submit the signup form. So once I’ve signed up, I’m left with 1P knowing my password but not what username/email I used, which breaks the login autofill experience later. I have to manually convert these passwords to logins, remembering what username/email I used and typing it in manually. (On a tangent, this is also another one of my UI gripes—it’s so many clicks and so unintuitive to convert a password to a login from 1Password Mini: click Edit, click Cancel, click Convert to Login (??? why is this option not part of the edit screen and not exposed until popped out into its own window???), fill in the details, click Save.)

This is such a painful experience. What am I doing wrong?

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: 7.9.2
OS Version: macOS 12.2 Beta

Comments

• tsmyth2
    tsmyth2
    Community Member
    Options

I have had the same problem: password created by 1P with no username.
    Also, 1P seems to require more steps/clicks for everything. I appreciate the added security, but wish it were simpler/quicker.
    Still learning 1P.

• @atcb

If you don't wish to use the inline menu to create a new Login, you can still manually save a Login by clicking the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar followed by the settings icon at the top right of the extension. From here you can choose New Login. It will look something like this:

Let me know if that improves your experience.

• atcb
    atcb
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_chantelle that button simply closes the UI for me—seems like a separate bug.

• ag_chantelle
    edited January 2022
    Options

@atcb

That definitely doesn't sound right. Do you see 1Password mini, in your macOS menu bar? You will also be able to save a new Login from there. If you're not able to do this, I'd like to ask you to send a diagnostics report to us at support+x@1password.com, with a link to our existing conversation. One of our extensions team members will have a look and let you know what we find.

ref: TYU-36675-582

This discussion has been closed.