Multiple newly created items disappearing - A serious erosion of trust

qwang
qwang
Community Member

Multiple new items that I have created yesterday have disappeared. I've searched across all vaults, and verified that I only have one version of 1Password installed (which is v7).

I've noticed this at first, and verify that it wasn't just my faulty memory, I then created a few test entries that appear to have been saved, but when I checked today, they are all gone again.

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: macOS 12.1

Comments

• Hello @qwang! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that you've encountered an issue when creating new items. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• qwang
    qwang
    Community Member
    edited January 2022

I've done some digging here, and I think it is due to a serious issue with the UX:

Hitting CMD+Delete will delete the current record even though the cursor is currently focused in the search box.

This makes no sense, because CMD+Delete is a system-wide keyboard shortcut for "Delete text to the beginning of line", which I use to instantly clear the search box. But instead of doing this, it deletes the first entry that is selected. To reproduce this, try the following:

1. Select the search box
    2. Type in some search terms for an entry that exists in your list (so that the search results are non-empty)
    3. Press CMD+DELETE (note that at this point, the search box still has focus)

Expected behavior: Search box is cleared
    Actual behavior: First search result is deleted to archive. What's worse, is that hitting CMD+Z will not undo this operation.

• @qwang

Thank you for following up and for providing a detailed description of the behaviour that you ran into. This behaviour is indeed something that our developers are taking a look at and I've gone ahead and added your comments to the internal work item for the issue.

In the meantime, you can restore the mistakingly archived items using these steps:

1. Open the vault that contained the item.
    2. Click Archive in the sidebar.
    3. Select the item, then click Restore.

Let me know if you have any questions. :)

ref: dev/apple/issues#5380

• qwang
    qwang
    Community Member
    edited January 2022

Thanks. I hope it gets resolved. I'd like to clarify one thing: On a non-mac native keyboard (e.g., a Windows keyboard) plugged into the mac, it would be CMD+Backspace, not CMD+Delete.

• @qwang

Thank you for the additional clarification. Our developers just included a fix for the issue in the latest beta of 1Password 7 for Mac (7.9.3.BETA-1). If you'd like to give it a try then you can find instructions on how to update to the beta here: Use 1Password beta releases :)

• qwang
    qwang
    Community Member

Thank you so much. That was very fast and nimble of you guys!

• @qwang

Thank you for the kind words. If testing in the beta version goes well then we hope to release the fix in a regular update in the future. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have any other questions or issues. :)

This discussion has been closed.