Difficulty changing passwords in iOS apps

Options
thedean
thedean
Community Member

I have been changing passwords on my Mac for months without any difficulty. When I go to the change password page, 1Password for the Mac automatically fills in the current password field, and when I click in the new password field, it prompts me to use a new suggested password. Easy peasy.

However, when using an iOS app (for example Travelocity), I have problems. When I click in the current password field, 1Password for iOS autofills both the current password and the new password field with same value. I can erase the incorrect entry it places in the new password field, but then there is no option that I can find to invoke the generator, or to get a suggested new password. The only option I can find is to create a brand new login, which I do not want to do.

Why isn't changing a password on iOS as easy as it is on Mac/OS? What am I missing?

Dean

1Password Version: 7.9.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS

Comments

• Hello @thedean! 👋

I'm sorry that you're having trouble changing passwords on iOS. 1Password relies on iOS Password AutoFill to save and fill passwords into iOS apps and so has to work around the limitations of Password AutoFill. If you're changing a password on a website in Safari on iOS (and not another iOS app) then the new 1Password for Safari offers a similar workflow to what you're used to on the Mac: Get to know 1Password for Safari on your iPhone or iPad

When changing a password in other iOS apps using Password AutoFill you can follow these steps:

Step 1: Sign in to your account

Open the app where you want to change your password, then find the “change password” page.

If the app asks for your current password, tap your username above the keyboard. If you have more than one Login for the website, tap the key icon to choose a different one.

Step 2: Create your new password

To create a strong password:

1. Open and unlock the main 1Password app (not the restricted version invoked through Password AutoFill).
    2. Select your Login item for the website and tap Edit.
    3. Tap the gear wheel in the password field. If the app requires symbols, numbers, or a certain number of characters, adjust the settings. Then tap Done.
    4. Tap the password field and choose Copy.
    5. In the app whose password you're changing, paste your new password where the app asks for it.
    6. Finish changing your password on the app.

I hope that helps. :)

• thedean
    thedean
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P:

Thanks for the explanation of how to change a password using an iOS app. It is a little counter intuitive, because you have to switch between 2 instances of 1Password, but now that I know the process, I can repeat it, even if it is not as seamless as the Mac/OS process or the Safari process.

Is this process documented anywhere? Because I could not find it doing a search for "Change passwords in iOS apps" in your help system. If not, I would suggest you make it more easy to find, because I am sure there are others (like me) who got frustrated, gave up, and just made the password change using the Mac/OS app.

• Dave_1P
    edited January 2022
    Options

@thedean I agree that the process is a little convoluted and hopefully iOS Password AutoFill will be improved/enhanced in the future so that we can make things easier. If you're changing a password for a website in Safari the process is much more streamlined and is identical to what you're used to with 1Password in the browser on the Mac since we completely control the filling and saving process there.

The steps that I included in my previous post are based on a deprecated support article and I agree that it would be helpful to have them published again on our support page. I've opened an issue with our documentation team so that they can look into this. :)

ref: dev/web/support.1password.com#3127

This discussion has been closed.