To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Does 1pass care about user requests?

ttod
ttod
Community Member
edited January 2022 in Memberships

It has been almost year, since I've switched from LastPass to 1Password, and it was my biggest mistake, because of incomparable convenience and feature-rich experience of LP compared to 1pass. But that hasn't been the main issue - after I've switched , in the hope of the possible attention from 1P team to user requests, I've sent the first mail right away after I've joined 1Pass, telling about missing important features , which was present in LP, but not in 1P.
Then, after a template reply ('thanks for suggestion, we'll look into that') the issues haven't been ever fixed or implemented.
after 2 months, I've followed up again, and got again response.
after 6 months, I've followed up again, and no longer got any meaningful response, moreover, the support person asked me to describe the details better (however, this is nonsense, as I've had reported the issues clearly enough in the beggining).
What I've been requesting, was quite simple, and not acknowledging those things, might point a serious lack of UX/UI field.
This is my last time, I'm now listing the issues in public (even thought neither I think this will have any much importance, compared to continued ignorance to user-requests), but anyway, I wanted to express that as a note , because I'm definitely exporting all pass and switching back to LP.

• Search function is just broken in 1Pass (at least chrome extension). When site's saved "notes" field text are lengthy, "SEARCH" can't find the strings/occurrences throughout them. Similarly, in secure-notes too. So, if you have "hello ABC goodbye" somewhere in text, and you search of "ABC", 1Pass can't find anything.
  • inability to save passwords after successful login to any website (like LP shows a small popup form, asking us whether to save the login info or not) : in 1P, you have to click Edit, wait to load site, there enter website name manually, enter username, title, pass manually and save there. However, LP did these everything automatically with bright-minded approach.
  • when clicking "edit" for item, we basically wait up to 3 seconds for nothing, and only after that 1P redirects the browser to the ITEM EDIT PAGE. Why hanging us 3 seconds for nothing, instead of just opening the tab immediately?
  • There is no way to enter QR code for already 2-FA protected site - the unsophisticated approach (to click "Scan QR code") only checks if on same domain there is QR code. How it come, then we can't enter the 2-FA TOTP key manually, or even drag the screenshoted/saved QR image into it, because we have existing 2-FA enabled sites and we want to add them? 1Pass urges us to reset them, otherwise no way to add existing 2-FA enabled sites into 1Pass.
  • inability to PIN-code lock the Chrome extension. Instead, we have to enter Master Password. Why? Why you don't give us the option we need to have on our own? it's our business if we have PIN or MasterPass on our accounts, but you don't give us an ability.
  • forgot one or two other very important (and at the same time very easy to fix) things (might add to this post later).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @ttod

Thanks for giving 1Password a try. I'm sorry to hear that ultimately another password manager better suits your needs. I suppose that's why it's good there is competition though — different strokes for different folks. :) To your specific points:

Then, after a template reply ('thanks for suggestion, we'll look into that') the issues haven't been ever fixed or implemented.
    after 2 months, I've followed up again, and got again response.
    after 6 months, I've followed up again, and no longer got any meaningful response, moreover, the support person asked me to describe the details better (however, this is nonsense, as I've had reported the issues clearly enough in the beggining).
    What I've been requesting, was quite simple, and not acknowledging those things, might point a serious lack of UX/UI field.

This is our function in customer service in this regard. It is our job to gather the details and pass those details along to the relevant teams. It is up to those teams to evaluate the feedback and consider it for inclusion. They have to evaluate:

1. If the feedback matches the direction the company wants to take the product
    2. What the effort required to implement the feedback is
    3. Where it fits in terms of priority — is it more important than the other tasks we already have planned

I understand it is frustrating to provide feedback and not see any immediate change as a result, but we do log all of the feedback we receive and incorporate a good deal of it into the decisions that drive the product.

Search function is just broken in 1Pass (at least chrome extension). When site's saved "notes" field text are lengthy, "SEARCH" can't find the strings/occurrences throughout them. Similarly, in secure-notes too. So, if you have "hello ABC goodbye" somewhere in text, and you search of "ABC", 1Pass can't find anything.

You might consider using one of the desktop or mobile apps to search within note fields. At present, as you say, the Chrome extension does not search these fields. The primary function of the browser extension is to fill data into web forms, as as notes cannot be filled, they aren't part of what it searches for.

inability to save passwords after successful login to any website (like LP shows a small popup form, asking us whether to save the login info or not) : in 1P, you have to click Edit, wait to load site, there enter website name manually, enter username, title, pass manually and save there. However, LP did these everything automatically with bright-minded approach.

Logins are primarily saved into 1Password through the inline menu, rather than through any sort of popup:

when clicking "edit" for item, we basically wait up to 3 seconds for nothing, and only after that 1P redirects the browser to the ITEM EDIT PAGE. Why hanging us 3 seconds for nothing, instead of just opening the tab immediately?

I don't imagine a 3 second delay is intentional. I'm not experiencing this delay myself, but I also tend to use the desktop/mobile apps for editing rather than the 1Password.com web app. I know you mentioned you've made up your mind, but if that changes and you'd like to troubleshoot we'd be happy to take a look as honestly this sounds like a bug or configuration problem, and not an intentional decision to make people wait 3 seconds.

There is no way to enter QR code for already 2-FA protected site - the unsophisticated approach (to click "Scan QR code") only checks if on same domain there is QR code. How it come, then we can't enter the 2-FA TOTP key manually, or even drag the screenshoted/saved QR image into it, because we have existing 2-FA enabled sites and we want to add them?

It is possible to paste the TOTP secret into the text field, and have TOTP codes generated that way. I would also wonder if opening the image you have saved of the QR code with your web browser, and then using the scan option on the relevant Login item would do the trick?

1Pass urges us to reset them, otherwise no way to add existing 2-FA enabled sites into 1Pass.

Most folks don't save the QR codes or TOTP secret strings when they enable 2FA for their various websites, and as such disabling and re-enabling 2FA is often the only way to get said sites to provide the information required. That is why this is our standard recommendation.

inability to PIN-code lock the Chrome extension. Instead, we have to enter Master Password. Why? Why you don't give us the option we need to have on our own? it's our business if we have PIN or MasterPass on our accounts, but you don't give us an ability.

This may be possible, depending on what platform you're using. 1Password 8 for Windows supports unlocking via a PIN through Windows Hello, and can integrate with our Chrome extension.

Use Windows Hello to unlock 1Password on your Windows PC

Thank you for taking the time to write this up! I hope in the future we're able to offer a solution that is more to your liking and you'll consider giving us another try.

Ben

• ttod
    ttod
    Community Member

Thanks for thorough reply. I'll follow up:
    1) I perfectly know and didn't hope that my requests will be fulfilled 'immediately', I nowhere said, instead I emphasized 2 months, then 6 months,.. so, it is not immediate, it is just thrown away feedback. and as described in next steps, none of the requests were just blatant feature requests, instead very important.

2) lets start - you say that in Chrome extension I can't search normally, and you suggest to do the undesired thing (instead other programs, desktop or mobile app). when customer says that he uses Chrome browser - why should s/he install another separate app to just have a basic functionality of search? That's what I say - LastPass did that perfect, and 1P can't do that. So, it is the 'drawback' of your program, which I reported, and you should have tried (during 1 year) to fix that (it is not even "feature" to implement, instead it is 'bug' kind which needed to be fixed, as "SEARCH" doesn't work). If you say that Chrome's extension's functionality is not intended to have a search, then don't say that field "search" or call it something other ("search only in passwords" -, as we can't search in notes), so we know that 1P doesn't have search (moreover, it works 'partially' i.e. if the string is inside first 100{?} words only or whatever idk). So, once again, instead of trying to fix that broken functionality within 1 year, your team didn't do that. So, LP outshines in that, as I'm very extensively used notes.

3) yes, I know logins are saved from there too, but the problem is that many website uses custom login fields, where 1P doesn't work and can't catch them, thus we don't have that menu appearing there. Moreover, in many cases, in websites where we dont have password stored in pass-manager, we try to 'remind' and guess, and try several different passwords, which can be turn out to be correct, only after login is successful. So, LastPass offered a way which seemed better - only when your entered User&pw succeeds, then you can click then to just "save" and that's all. Atm, there has been dozens of cases, when I tried many passwords and only after I've successfully logined to website, then I said - 'yeah, this last password xyz123 seemed to work, so I should save that in my password manager' - however, I have to do that manually in 1pass. You could have given an option to have something alike LastPass, as I dont see any value to save password during login fields, when I don know if that password is correct or not. I hope you now understand what I mean.

4) about delay up to 3 seconds. I mentioned it happens in chrome-extension. On consumer-grade laptops it is up to 3 seconds, and on faster laptops it is around 2 seconds. You can reproduce that easily - click 1Pass extension icon (on website wherever you have stored a user&pw) and then click "edit" : https://i.imgur.com/X3XgQBi.png ; Please tell me, how many seconds it needed to initiate new-tab open? (I use Win10 & Chrome).then remind, that new-tab open can be programmatically instant, but 1P does something incorrectly. So, that needs fix.

5) about totp codes - I cant understand , can you please describe step-by-step how can i manually enter the QR code for item(website) where I've already turned on QR code? I've tried to open the image manually in browser, but then SCAN opion disappears from 1P extension, because the opened image's url is not associated to any website (something like file://c:/blabla.png) . So, again, you should acknowledge that as an inability/issue of 1P that we can't setup/enter 2-FA totp qr/codes into 1P manually. Sorry, but what do other folk do, is not relevant - consider people who migrate from another 2-FA app - you ask them to do 2-FA reset for all their websites lists. Think about it.

6) again, you ask us to install other programs. Why? why is pin-code so hard to implement to get asked when we open extension, instead of master-password? Sorry, no - i am not going to install separate desktop app to just have pin-codes enabled for extension. I highly dislike using multiple same apps for same thing. I used 1P Chrome Extension too long time already.

Finally, my mind can be changed and I might want still to remain on 1Pass, if the frustrational things will be fixed. At this moment, the above described issues are really interrupting me (i.e. I cant search in my notes! and I don't want to get up from pc and open mobile phone to make a search, neither I want to install separate programs on pc for just simple search, and neither add 2-FA codes in 1P)

• @ttod

I really think the majority of these complaints would be resolved if you were to install the 1Password 8 for Windows application. This isn't a replacement for the Chrome extension — it works in conjunction with it, and is a core component of getting the best possible 1Password experience on a Windows computer. I'd strongly encourage you to give it a try. If it doesn't improve the situation any you can simply uninstall it and go back to the way things were.

Download 1Password 8 for Windows

As an example, I recorded a video showing how you can add an existing TOTP string to an item in 1Password 8, which you can view here:

https://bucket.agilebits.com/ben/20220106t6QOfuIJ.mp4

And another example, I recorded a separate video demonstrating finding an item in 1Password 8 based on the text stored in its notes field:

https://bucket.agilebits.com/ben/20220106YgCP8c6l.mp4

The browser extension is great, and a critical component to 1Password, but there is some functionality that is only available when used in conjunction with the desktop app. That's not a bug, but rather the way we've decided to build our product. I don't know of any plans for that to change.

As for your point about how Login items are saved using the browser extension — do you have any examples you could share where the inline menu doesn't work properly? I'd be happy to share those with our extension development team to see if we can improve how we work with those sites. I'll also pass along your point about the workflow, where it may make more sense to save the credentials after the login has successfully happened, rather than after the form has been filled out but hasn't been submitted yet.

Ben

• ttod
    ttod
    Community Member
    edited January 2022

thanks but you haven't mentioned any words with my above 4th and 5th paragraphs .

lastly, I've repeated several times that I will not be installing (in my workspace I am not allowed to install extra windows applications), and you are refusing to implement the things, that are already done in your competitor LP.
    I translate your answer as just "wontfix" for the required things.
    oky, thank you.

• and you are refusing to implement the things, that are already done in your competitor LP.

I don't believe it is our goal to mirror LastPass. Trying to copy our competitors may be a race to the bottom. The 1Password application is able to offer functions that our browser extension does not. I'm sorry I don't have more encouraging news in that regard. I will pass the feedback along, but I can't promise that what you are asking for correlates with the direction we're taking the product.

I addressed your 5th paragraph in my first video:

As an example, I recorded a video showing how you can add an existing TOTP string to an item in 1Password 8, which you can view here:

https://bucket.agilebits.com/ben/20220106t6QOfuIJ.mp4

This is also possible using the web app. I recorded a new video showing how to do it in the web app: https://bucket.agilebits.com/ben/20220107totpweb.mp4

The delay you mentioned in your 4th paragraph would also be addressed by using the 1Password 8 for Windows application as with the integration between the desktop app and extension, the extension defers item editing to the desktop app instead of the 1Password.com web app. I understand in your particular environment you're unable to install the application. I do apologize that for the items you've outlined that results in a sub-optimal experience. As I say, I will certainly share your feelings with the team. I will also do some further investigation into the delay with opening the web app for item editing.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.