Problems with new 1PW extension (Chrome) and saving new or updating passwords

kuoirad
kuoirad
Community Member
edited December 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Been using 1Password for years both privately and at work, on Mac, Windows and Android. Recently got pushed onto the "new" 1PW extension (Chrome) after installing 1PW 8 on a machine at work, decided to go with it. I still greatly prefer having the desktop app available for a number of reasons. Side note: love the dark mode on 1PW 8, otherwise not a fan of the new UI/UX.

Initially, I ran into a problem using saved credit cards in Chrome/Google that I solved after finding this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/115168/disable-chrome-payment-methods-override. However, I'm now having another extremely frustrating problem that I'm wondering if it's caused by the workaround from that thread I implemented.

Currently, when I create a new password in the extension, whether for a new website or updating a password for an existing login, I never get asked if I want to save that password, and it never shows up in any of my vaults as a password. It's caused me a lot of frustration lately.

I can't tell if this is because I've untoggled the "Make 1Password the default password manager" option in the extension or that I've untoggled the "Show autofill menu on field focus" option.

Hopefully I've explained this well enough. Please let me know if I can add more information. Otherwise, any help as to what I'm doing wrong?

1Password Version: 7.9.828
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: Windows 10

Comments

• ag_chantelle
    edited January 2022

@kuoirad

We're glad to hear that you've found some things that you're liking with 1Password 8. I'm definitely a huge fan of dark mode, myself. We are always looking for ways to improve, so I'd appreciate it if you could share some feedback on what it is in the new UI that you're not a fan of.

You're right. his version of 1Password for your browser does not prompt to autosave credentials. Instead, you'll have to explicitly instruct 1Password to save the Login before you proceed. Since you have "Show autofill menu on field focus" disabled, you can do this by clicking the blue 1Password icon in the password field and choosing Save in 1Password. You can also manually save a Login by right-clicking the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choosing Save Login. From here you can either create a new item or update an existing item (if you're changing a password).

We do have an open feature request to bring autosave to this version of 1Password in your browser. I'd be happy to add your voice to the list of users who would like to see this happen.

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#272

• kuoirad
    kuoirad
    Community Member

@ag_chantelle :

Please do. Not having it prompt to save a new login feels like a MAJOR regression in functionality to me.

However, shouldn't the created password at least be saved itself? Not as a login type, but just a password type? Does that make sense?

With regards to the UI, 1PW 8 feels to me like Android 12 (the OS; also not a fan of the new UI there) does - things are bigger, rounder, glossier/brighter, and "squishier"-seeming. Maybe best described as more "candy-like"? I'm definitely more of a fan of more muted/matte and flat in visual design, but that's just me. I'll keep my other work computers where I've got 1PW installed on the 7.x tree while I can.

I'm guessing with the focus for the browser extension moving to what was called 1Password X and away from the older Classic extension, AgileBits is unifying the UI/UX in the standalone app as well. I can live with it, I'm just not a fan. It's just look and feel and I try really hard to just roll with look and feel issues unless they actually get in my way. I'm more concerned about the autosave issue for this thread and the credit card autofill issue I referenced where I have concerns about the changes in functionality.

Thanks!

• @kuoirad

However, shouldn't the created password at least be saved itself? Not as a login type, but just a password type? Does that make sense?

Yes, what you're saying makes complete sense. It depends on how you are creating the new password. If you're manually entering a new password, then you you'll have to explicitly ask 1Password to save it in your vault. If you are using the 1Password inline menu and selecting a "Suggested Password", or if you're generating a password from the extension pop-up in the browser toolbar - then these will be saved to the Generator History. To access the Generator History, click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar followed by the 🔑 icon. At the bottom, you'll be able to view any generated passwords that you've used in your browser.

I totally get your reference of "candy-like", and can appreciate what you're saying here. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I'll be happy to pass them along to the development team as well. If you do find the new UI does start to create some friction, please let us know and we'll be happy to see what we can do to smooth out your workflow.

• kuoirad
    kuoirad
    Community Member

if you're generating a password from the extension pop-up in the browser toolbar - then these will be saved to the Generator History.

Ahha. Change I wasn't aware of. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

• You're most welcome @kuoirad! :smile:

This discussion has been closed.