Will 1Password 4 for iOS require a separate purchase?

tatchley
tatchley
Community Member
Hello,

In the newsletter that was sent out today, you all mentioned that "1Password 4 for iOS is a completely new app." Do you mean this only in a figurative sense, like it is a newly designed app with many new features, or do you also mean it in a literal sense, like we are releasing this application separately and not as an update to the existing 1Password application(s)? I am a recent convert to 1Password, and having just paid $10 for the iOS companion, I do not want to struggle with keeping an older version of the application, or repaying the $10+ for the new, updated version.

Comments

• [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Need to have the ability to generate passwords on the iPad.[/font]
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Hope that this feature is included.[/font]
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, pmm, and good question, tatchley!

pmm, I think you will be very pleased. Stay tuned. :)

tatchley, nothing has been decided yet with regard to upgrade path. We will be posting more details on our blog and likely sending out another newsletter with more details as they become available.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Cough

Take my money please. :P

Dang-it

Thats was twitter a while back and HBO to go.

Ok seriously ill throw $20 at ya gimme gimme right now. Tell Dave all he did was stoke the fire into an inferno. I want I want. :D
  • tatchley
    tatchley
    Community Member
    I suggest you implement the same deal you have going on for 1P4 on Mac App Store.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for the suggestion, tatchley! We've been considering a few different options, but it is not an easy decision. If there was a way to always give everything away for free and still be in business to do it again in a few months I know we would. :)

Hopefully we will be able to share more soon.

Thanks again for your interest (and enthusiasm, thightower). :lol:
  • ilove1password
    ilove1password
    Community Member
    It would be great to know the answer to this. I am helping to get my aunt set up on 1Password but do not know whether to advise her to buy 1Password Pro in the App Store or to wait. I know I can advise her to buy 1Password in MAS since it includes the upgrade to 1Password 4 for Mac but don't know what to tell her for iOS.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I'm sorry that I don't have the answer you're looking for right now. As I mentioned above, nothing has been decided yet with regard to upgrade path, so I genuinely can't answer your question at this time. I would if I could. :)

We will be posting more details on our blog and likely sending out another newsletter with more details as they become available.
  • lishpy
    lishpy
    Community Member
    Welp that answers the question I came here for! No point in purchasing the app for me if an upgrade could be right around the corner. I've been trying to justify the price tag since I got my new iPhone, but I guess being a bit frugal and now the addition of a new app possibly coming soon I'll just have to wait. It's been slightly irritating not having access to my 1Password database on the go, but I'll have to deal.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2012
    Welcome to the forums, lishpy! We should have some definitive news soon. :)

1PasswordAnywhere should work in Mobile Safari if you want to hold off on your purchase until the upgrade path has been announced:

http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/1passwordanywhere.html
  • DrPlainview
    DrPlainview
    Community Member
    I will gladly pay for a new version, but don't stretch it too much, keep it affordable, kind like a no brainer upgrade.

Cheers.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thank you very much for the feedback and support, DrPlainview! :D
  • I've purchased 1Password for two macs and 1Password Pro for two iPhones. I would hope the upgrade path doesn't include additional fees... If it must, it would be nice if there were a reduced upgrade fee.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, jayblog! Thanks for your longtime support. 1Password for Mac is actually licensed per user not per machine, so if you are the only user you only need a single license no matter how many Macs you have. According to our records, you only have a single license, so that's good. :)

Same goes for the iOS apps. You can install them on all your personal iOS devices. You don't need to purchase the app twice for iOS either. :)

There has never been a paid upgrade in the history of 1Password for iOS and there has only been one paid upgrade ever for 1Password for Mac. That's 6 years of 1Password with only one paid upgrade. I think we've got a pretty good track record for providing hundreds of updates with thousands of new features and fixes for free. It's too early to say what the upgrade path with be at this time, but I hope the past 6 years of free updates have been valuable to you and others.

Sadly, Apple does not provide a method for tiered pricing for existing and new users. The price of an app applies to everyone in the App Store. That's what makes such a decision a bit trickier. There are a lot of different options available, but charging new users full price while providing an upgrade to existing users at a discount is not one of the available options.

To paraphrase Walt Disney, "We don't improve 1Password to make money; we make money so we can keep improving 1Password." I'm confident that whatever is decided will be in the best interests of all AgileBits stakeholders including and especially our awesome customers.

I'm going to close this thread for now since there really isn't anything else to say on the topic at the moment. Please feel free to create a new topic if there is anything else we can help with in the meantime. I'll be sure to post back here once we have something to announce.

Cheers,
This discussion has been closed.