To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Local Vault preference

Options
Mile1
Mile1
Community Member

One of the main reasons I chose 1Password back in 2015 was the local vault feature. I do not wish to put my family's data on someone else's server, also popularly referred to as "the cloud".

2 Questions:
1 - Will version 7 continue to be supported, and can I simply stay with v7?
2 - Will a local vault feature be added to v8?

A couple things for you to consider. For some of us, a password manager is simply a utility. We do not want to spend anymore time thinking about it that we think about our refrigerator. I understand that you are all excited about the product, but please keep it simple for those of us that are just using it as one of many tools to support life in this day and age.

Also, in this thread https://1password.community/discussion/126086/v7-and-v8-question#latest Ben referenced a questionable premise for moving away from local vault. Ben stated that it is difficult for people to remember their Master Password. That may be the case for some, but it is not the case for all. I think that if you think it is time for "the Cloud" to simplify life for one demographic, you should consider maintaining support for those of us that came to you mainly for the reason that a non-cloud option existed.

I regret that I had to spend this time creating an account on your forum to discuss this upcoming change. I do not have a membership to a user forum at GE. My refrigerator just keeps on going day in and day out.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Mile1:

Will version 7 continue to be supported, and can I simply stay with v7?

1Password 8 will be a separate download from 1Password 7 and 1Password 7 will not update to 1Password 8 automatically.

The short version is we simply don't have an answer on what future support for 1Password 7 will look like after 1Password 8 launches. What I can provide as an example is after the launch of 1Password 7 for Mac, 1Password 6 for Mac received zero updates, security or otherwise. While past behavior doesn't define the future, it certainly can be helpful.

Additionally, we can't guarantee that functionality will continue to remain as expected as operating systems and browsers make updates. For example, if iCloud or Dropbox were to make a change that we haven't accounted for, syncing may not function as intended.

Will a local vault feature be added to v8?

While I'm sure it's not the answer you're hoping for, 1Password 7 will be the last version of 1Password to support local vaults synced via a third party service. If we do pursue this use case, rather than it being an entirely local vault, it will instead be a copy of the 1Password service you host yourself. If this is something you'd be interested in, please let us know by filling out our 1Password Self-hosted Service Survey.

Jack

• Mile1
    Mile1
    Community Member
    Options

@jack.platten It is indeed disappointing to hear that this excellent offering is coming to an end. I use WLAN for syncing, so not subject to changes to Dropbox or iCloud. But the potential for zero security update on v7 is bad. I am disappointed in the direction you're going. What is the date when you switch from earnestly supporting v7 to focus on v8?

• Hi @Mile1:

We tend to keep things pretty close to the chest, so I don't have any specific dates to share with you at the moment.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.