Import Question re Folders/Vaults

I would like to import over 1000 passwords into 1PW. Our current PW Manager uses folders to segment them by client etc. In 1PW each client will need a separate vault. I did a test import and the only thing I am able to do is import the folder value as a custom field. To make matters even worse, it appears the only way I can move passwords between vaults is through a laborious process of doing it one by one. Obviously I could also adjust the csv import, and do 100 imports, but that would be almost as laborious.

Is there any way to automate this process? With almost every password manager now supporting folders, including supporting them on import, I hope 1PW has a more flexible import method :-).

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• PasswordSchmassword
    PasswordSchmassword
    Community Member
    edited January 2022

"To make matters even worse, it appears the only way I can move passwords between vaults is through a laborious process of doing it one by one."

I see that I can use the windows app to select multiple passwords and move them. So that question is not necessary to answer.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@PasswordSchmassword

Would using Tags be easier for you (if your Folder name was added as a Tag value)?

• PasswordSchmassword
    PasswordSchmassword
    Community Member
    edited January 2022

Hi MrC, I think that would have made it 10x better, thank you. I could have "pre"-created vaults and then the tags would have at least allowed me to quickly identify what passwords needed to be moved into what vaults. However I already started to do some rearranging and while it's tedious the Windows app makes it doable.

Would that have required a special request? Because I looked for but did not see any way to import CSV values as tags. Maybe I missed it.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2022

@PasswordSchmassword

Sorry my message arrived after you'd done most of the manual work.

The csv converter in the converter suite accepts a Tags column, and creates the tags listed in a Tags column of the CSV.

I was going to offer exploring the addition of a feature to the converter suite to support creation of separate 1PIFs, which could be imported into the desired vaults. It would work based on a supplied field and/or value matcher.

• Thank you very much. I am OK though - this forced me to do some much needed housekeeping anyhow :-).

This discussion has been closed.