Leaving 1Password, No Local Storage

Options
jquintanilla
jquintanilla
Community Member
edited December 2021 in Lounge

I don't know where else to post this, so here goes.

I have been a 1Password customer and user for almost a decade now, and love - LOVE - the software. Which is why I'm so disappointed that the decision was made to discontinue stand-alone licensing and local vault storage. I understand 1Password doesn't store my keys, etc. etc. but I'm sorry, storing my sensitive data on a cloud server outside of my control or ownership is just not something I am comfortable doing, no matter what the promises are.

I don't know why this decision was reached. If it's about supporting the development of 1Password, I would've been more than happy to transition to a subscription stand-alone license. The subscription isn't the issue here.

I know the 1Password team doesn't really care, but I am so disappointed and frustrated by this decision that I just had to voice it somewhere. (and it's going to be a lot of work - not only do I have to migrate myself but my whole family who I referred to 1Password over the years - something I'm not looking forward to).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• RickS1
    RickS1
    Community Member
    Options

I couldn't agree more with you. With all the data breaches and using of personal data, I do not understand how a password software company went this path.
    This was once the best software out there. Without a choice to pick stand alone vs' subscription, This is nothing but another microsoft or adobe corp now. Its very sad it has gone this way.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jquintanilla!

First of all, thank you for the feedback!

I don't know why this decision was reached. If it's about supporting the development of 1Password, I would've been more than happy to transition to a subscription stand-alone license. The subscription isn't the issue here.

Please read this post from our founder Dave if you want the reasoning behind the decision :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2021
    Options

@RickS1:

Posting this to you since you mentioned it, but leaving the link here for anyone else who might stumble upon this discussion in the future, here is a page that shows how 1Password protects your information in the cloud, also in the event of a data breach:

About the 1Password security model

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Always worth filling in the survey at https://survey.1password.com/self-host/ AgileBits aren't going to change the subscription model, but may introduce a local approach for those who insist on it. Meanwhile, 1PW7 will contiue to work on a Mac for quite a while.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, thank you for the link to the survey @danco :+1:

• jquintanilla
    jquintanilla
    Community Member
    edited December 2021
    Options

@danco thank you for the link! I'll absolutely fill this out.

@ag_ana thank you for your comments and the links. After reading the post, I totally get the analytics behind the decision, but those analytics aren't in a vacuum - you've been pushing people towards 1Password.com ever since it launched at the expense of the stand-alone vaults (I assume that's because of the subscription fees - which again, I totally understand the need for subscription revenues vs. single license purchases). I'm curious how many of those users are aware 1) that standalone vaults are a thing and 2) average consumers who don't really know or understand the difference - from personal experience I know that 2, at least in my circle, is very common. It would be great if a company who's product is information security would promote or at least offer the strongest possible protection possible.

I just wanted to give my feedback and I have. Regardless of how fantastic the software is, how much I've loved using it, and how much honestly I love your team in general, storing my password database on a server not controlled directly by me is just a line in the sand I'm not willing to cross.

• qzn25
    qzn25
    Community Member
    Options

@jquintanilla I am trying to decide between keepass and 1pass and I see this article. I am "new" here but I did a lot of research, everything I had read about 1pass is that they had their servers or whatever it is called, but that they could never access yours. This was not so?

If it works on the internet, that information was always somewhere, could you explain a little more to me? I am looking to make a decision. Ty

• jquintanilla
    jquintanilla
    Community Member
    Options

@qzn25 - 1Password.com (the membership) stores your database on their servers. According to their description, linked to above, it's end-to-end encrypted and they don't store your keys. So if the servers are compromised, an intruder will have access to only an encrypted version of your information, and won't be able to decrypt it because only you have your keys stored.

While this is a commonly used model for many services, I am uncomfortable storing my most sensitive data on a server that I don't personally control and own. 1Password 7 and prior lets the user purchase a stand-alone license for using the software while keeping the encrypted database locally on your own machine or server. That's the feature that 1Password 8 will remove.

I'm just uncomfortable having, again, my most sensitive data, off-site on a remote server that I don't own, regardless of whether it's kept in an encrypted state or whether 1Password is capable of decrypting it or not.

• qzn25
    qzn25
    Community Member
    Options

@jquintanilla And how was the sync performed between the computers if you had your file on your local PC?

I ask since keepass is offline and on your pc, and the way to synchronize it is through dropbox or something similar

• jquintanilla
    jquintanilla
    Community Member
    Options

@qzn25 via WLAN.

• Gerhard87
    Gerhard87
    Community Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

I have the same problem. I will have to migrate my family as well. Problem, I have not yet found the new tool/solution...
    I already filled the questionnaire 3 months ago.
    As I know this discussion with version 7 (windows) and the WLAN feature, the 1Password team didn't want to communicate the details.
    I know so far, that they said there was little interest in the WLAN feature, that's why they dorpped it/didn't add it later.
    I guess, that's the same they will tell with the self-hosted server. Then they will stop to pursue the topic... (because of to less response in their eyes).

@danco Can you please share some stats, how many asked for this or how the tendency is, that you will support a self-hosted server? Thank you.

I don't want to start the discussion about security here (there are already some large threads about it), but I want to emphasize, that there is a certain number of power users, who would like to have the option to locally store the passwords. Those power users also reach more people.
    And think about this, you would be the best known password safe competitor on the market, which would a local/self-hosted synchronization (in addition to the cloud). I don't know of any other big player, who does it. This could be one of your unique selling points.

(side note, this is not a subscription vs. one-time cost problem, but the location for storing the data, so subscription with self-hosted server would be fine)

This discussion has been closed.