One Family Laptop & Multiple Chrome Profiles

Options
tommyballgame
tommyballgame
Community Member

Hi everyone! I have a family account and we have one laptop for the family that has just one windows account login. All family members have their own chrome profile. Is it possible to have the individual 1password accounts working for each chrome profile? Or must I setup seperate windows accounts for everyone? Many thanks and greetings from Switzerland!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @tommyballgame:

Welcome! 1Password is designed to take advantage of the features provided by the operating system that it runs on. Modern operating systems such as Windows provide separate user profiles to keep data separate, so 1Password takes advantage of this.

However, if you'd like to continue to use a single Windows account for all of the members of your family, this is still something that can be done. Install 1Password in your browser, for each family member's browser profile and add their 1Password account to the respective profile. After doing this, ensure that "Integrate with 1Password desktop app" is disabled in 1Password in Chrome (Right click 1Password in Chrome's toolbar > Settings > disable "Integrate with 1Password desktop app" in the General section). This will allow each profile of Chrome to operate independently, requiring each family member's account password to unlock 1Password, and not unlocking any other browser profiles, or the desktop app if you have that installed as well.

Let me know how you get on with that! :smile:

Jack

• mitchsc
    mitchsc
    Community Member
    Options

is there a way to do this without removing the connection between the chrome extensions and the main app? the main app essentially becomes useless to me if I have to remove that.

I only installed it to take advantage of windows hello login and to prevent 1p locking when I close the browser window since typing in my secure password often is a real pain.

• Hey @mitchsc:

As I mentioned above, generally speaking we'd recommend each individual user of a device to use their own OS-level profile to help separate data, rather than a shared profile all family members have access to.

With that in mind, if you're the only one that has the ability to use Windows Hello on this Windows login, rather than all members of your family being able to access it, it can be setup so that you can continue to use Windows Hello, while the rest of your family members do not.

In your Chrome profile, ensure that "Integrate with desktop app" is enabled in 1Password in Chrome's settings using the steps above.
    In all other family member's Chrome profiles, disable "Integrate with desktop app".

This will allow your Chrome profile to unlock using Windows Hello, but all other Chrome profiles will operate independently, requiring the account password to unlock. Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• mitchsc
    mitchsc
    Community Member
    Options

Good idea, my use case isnt about family sharing the pc and windows profile, but rather using the same windows profile for work and personal.

Both are me.

I see I could choose to connect one to the main app and one not. That's an idea but far from ideal.

A simple setting in the extension that allows me to select accounts that should show up in that instance would solve things perfectly.

• Hey @mitchsc:

Thanks for clarifying here. I've added your feedback to an internal issue we have on this topic. We're always exploring ways to make 1Password better for everyone, so while I can't promise anything, we do actively evaluate the feedback like this to inform the future of 1Password. Be sure to get in touch if you need anything in the future!

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#5190

• mitchsc
    mitchsc
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks jack

• You're very welcome @mitchsc! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.