"Start at login" option missing in 1P8 for Windows

Options
marshall_stacks
marshall_stacks
Community Member

In Linux, the 1Password desktop client starts up when you log into the OS, and it stays open and integrates with the browser extension, but:

In Windows 10, 1Password never starts with the OS and there's no I can see to get it to do so. If I open it manually (or launch it from the browser extension integration), it locks and closes when I exit my browser.

Will you be adding the "start at login" option, so the Windows app can just be running all the time? And can you make it stay open, even when the browser exits? That would be the behavior I'd expect from the app.

1Password Version: 8.4.1
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: Windows 10

Comments

• Khufu_I
    Khufu_I
    Community Member
    Options

I have the opposite scenario where 1Password does startup automatically on Windows 10 login. But having the "Start at login" option would allow me to disable it. I know there is the option to disable it via Task Manager > Startup but it would be nice to have this within the 1Password app.

• marshall_stacks
    marshall_stacks
    Community Member
    Options

@Khufu_I how'd you get it to do that? 😅

• Khufu_I
    Khufu_I
    Community Member
    Options

I’m not sure 🤷🏾‍♂️, I thought this was the default behavior.

• marshall_stacks
    marshall_stacks
    Community Member
    Options

Hah, okay. My app is missing the checkbox entirely, but I feel like it used to be there?
    Let's hope we hear from the 1Password support folks then!

• Hi @marshall_stacks:

1Password should be registered to start by default. If you check in Task Manager > Startup (as @Khufu_I mentioned, thanks for the assist! :smile:) is 1Password shown as enabled there? Let me know!

Jack

• marshall_stacks
    marshall_stacks
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @jack.platten , it doesn't appear in the startup list in Windows, for whatever reason. And, Windows being Windows, I don't know how I could add it to that without messing with the registry or something. I'm sure reinstalling 1p8 will probably fix the issue, so I'll try that before I pursue this ticket any further.

I'll update this thread either way when i get around to trying a reinstall!

But I don't know why it doesn't have the startup option in the app. Something to do with the browser extension's integration?

• Hi @marshall_stacks:

Thanks for the update. If reinstalling doesn't fix it, I'll be happy to dig into it further with you!

Jack

• marshall_stacks
    marshall_stacks
    Community Member
    Options

Uninstalling and re-installing seems to have done the trick :+1: Curiously, even after uninstalling it, I didn't have to put in any of my credentials again when I reinstalled, my username/picture/secret key must have been stored, because all I had to do was put in my master passphrase.
    Anyway, it shows up in the "Startup" tab in the task manager now, although there's still no checkbox in the actual app to toggle that behavior. ...and I think there should be :glasses:

Besides that feature request, I'm all good now! Thanks for following up.

• You're very welcome @marshall_stacks!

I've brought up your thoughts internally on adding the startup checkbox back to settings in 1Password 8, as well as being available in Task Manager's startup tab. :smile:

Jack

This discussion has been closed.