When I create a 1Password "membership" account should I use my existing standalone Master password?

Phippster
Phippster
Community Member

As the title says, When I create a 1Password "membership" account should I use my existing standalone Master password? Or should I have a separate password for my online 1password account? Will I be able to open 1Password to get this password or since it's no longer standalone will I need to remember the password I setup for my account as well as a separate Master password?

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2022

Hi @Phippster

This is a great question; thanks for asking. It is critical you memorize your 1Password account password. You can absolutely continue to use the same password you've been using to unlock 1Password with, so long as it meets the minimum requirements (10+ characters). Once you've completed the migration to an account and have deleted your standalone vaults your account password is what you'll use to unlock the app.

I would also recommend printing your Emergency Kit, and considering writing in your account password if you have a safe place to store the document:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Phippster
    Phippster
    Community Member

I very much do NOT like that. My master password is very secure and there's no way I would ever enter that into a web browser period. Full stop. Never. There are just too many issues with browsers and vulnerabilities. I don't ever want to enter my Master password into a browser. I think I'm going to need to find a different password manager after all these years of promoting 1Password. I was considering the "account" thing but after realizing I would need to use a browser -- no way.

• @Phippster

I wrote a blurb about how one can avoid using the web app if desired, here. That may be of interest.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.