1password 8 a serious step backwards from 1password 7

brhaftigt
brhaftigt
Community Member
edited December 2021 in Windows

Dearest community members,

I am still hoping this is more of a PEBCAK rather than 1password not functioning as it used to.

For starters: I loved the option of creating a complex password to my liking by simply right clicking the app in the taskbar. This function is no longer available or at least not nearby. Besides this if I start entering a password in a website manually it constantly defocusses from the text field to this popup saying do you want to save it in 1password. Not to mention that when I entered the password in the previous version the app was like. Hmmmm... Perhaps this simple man with the memory span of a goldfish might want to save this password. Let me propose it. Now 1password is just like. Bro, you want it better click save beforehand or hope that you still remember.

Then when we finally have it in the vault and start using ctrl + \ the app is like. Nice try! I'm not going to look any further than the EXACT url.

Please tell me this is a me problem and not the app.

My entire automatism that I have developed is lost with the update. Soon I can sent in a request to pay for my anger management classes.

Perhaps I am becoming a dinosaur but if it ain't broken don't fix it.

If this is actually the path 1password is going to walk I am afraid I cannot follow and I loved it before :(.

Thanks for the feedback and my apologies if there were 50 rants about it before.
(My psychiatrist told me that sharing is a good thing so :). )

1Password Version: 8.4.1
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 11 Pro Build 22000.376

Comments

• RobMendez
    RobMendez
    Community Member

I've noticed the ability to select which accounts to include in the "All Vaults" setting has also disappeared from the app (though it still exists on the browser extension). This also seems a step backwards.

• RobMendez
    RobMendez
    Community Member

Another thing I noticed - all my accounts appear only as vaults in the app. I can't search across all my accounts anymore - I have to click on each one and perform the search.

• Hey @brhaftigt:

Great questions! As it currently stands, there isn't a standalone password generator in 1Password 8, but I can see how that would be useful, so I've added your feedback to an issue we have tracking this.

As for ctrl + \, if there's only one item in your 1Password vault that matches, 1Password in your browser should fill it automatically, however if there's multiple applicable URLs, 1Password in your browser will pop up the drop-down to pick between options. I noticed that in your extension details, you've included a version number that would match to the 1Password classic extension. Just to confirm, are you currently using our newer 1Password in the browser extension?

@RobMendez:

All Accounts will now show all accounts and all vaults. If you'd like to pick a subset of accounts or vaults, creating a collection would be the best way to go.

When All Accounts is selected, you should be able to search across all your accounts. Is this not what you're experiencing? Let me know and I'll be able to dig in further with you!

Jack

• brhaftigt
    brhaftigt
    Community Member
    edited January 2022

Hi @jack.platten I am using the new browser extension.

But after using 1password for about a week extra and quite intensively I have noticed the following things (Comparing to my Windows 10 and a previous version).

• The ctrl + \ works quite often but the focus after using this is off. Where it used to focus on the login button or whatever. Quite often it focusses on something random in the browser. For example in Chrome on the 3 dots opening my settings.
    • Saving passwords keeps adding them up and not proposing to save over an old or similar password / account. example facebook.com xxx.yyy.zzz password and I enter a new password it just saves a second account xxx.yyy.zzz with the new password
    • ctrl + shift + \ or ctrl + \ does not respond all the time in Windows 11 especially after Windows 11 has been in sleep mode. Program needs to be opened through Windows search / explorer (however you want to call it).

Thanks for taking the time to respond to this.

If I can provide you with additional information that might be helpful for the project please let me know.

By the way, The best of wishes for the New Year!

Kind regards,

Bram

• Hey @brhaftigt:

Thanks for following up with some more details.

We're still working on improving the experience when using control + \, so stay tuned for updates on this!

When saving updated passwords, are you offered the option to save a new item, or update an existing item in the dialog box? For example:

To dig into why 1Password may not be opening using Ctrl + Shift + \, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• RobMendez
    RobMendez
    Community Member
    edited January 2022

@jack.platten not sure how to describe this, but in the latest version of the desktop, it looks like all of my Accounts were converted to Vaults instead...

In your reply, you mentioned All Accounts, but I don't see that option on the desktop - I only see an All Items option. I can see All Accounts on the browser extension, but not the desktop app.

Regarding my second post, in order for me to show all matching entries, I now have to do CTRL+ENTER, which wasn't the case before.

• JanLange
    JanLange
    Community Member

1Password 8 is annoying... bad usability.. so many standard features, that every windows app has, is gone away.
    Right click menu.. gone away
    See Total items.. gone away
    Finding dublets... ?

over all not very user friendly. The new Browser plugin is on the one hand cool, but on the other hand the superimpositions of the text fields are sometimes annoying.

• RobMendez
    RobMendez
    Community Member

@jack.platten after looking at the link you posted about Collections and doing further research, it looks like Collections is now the new functionality for what I was able to do in v7. It also looks like the browser isn't up-to-date with the same naming convention.

Maybe I missed an email about it (and haven't been able to find anything on your website), but it would've been nice to have a "Here's What Changed Between v7 and v8" type of document.

But your link on Collections is very much appreciated - thank you! πŸ‘

• Hey @RobMendez:

Thanks for your screenshots, that definitely helps clear up where you were running into issues. You're exactly right when it comes to Collections, and 1Password in the browser isn't aware of Collections at the moment.

As for your accounts, it looks like you may have your family members' information stored across vaults., If you'd like to view all of your items in a collection at one time (and All Accounts does count as a collection), clicking All Items in the sidebar would show items across all vaults in that Collection. If you were to then make a Collection containing only your vaults named "Imported...", selecting that collection would then show only the vaults in the sidebar you selected for that Collection, and All Items in that Collection would then show all items from the vaults included.

@JanLange:

Item counts will be returning soon, they're currently in the beta and nightly channels. Would you mind clarifying which right click menu you're expecting to see? Additionally, I've noted your feedback about a duplicate finder in an internal issue we have regarding this. With the change to a common core, I'm hopeful that in the future we'll see a more robust de-duplication tool, but as it currently stands, we're unable to promise anything at this time. Thanks!

Jack

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#422

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

@jack.platten and @JanLange the beta contains item counts but its current implementation is pretty much useless. Instead of showing item counts permanentely next to the list they've included it within the list, i. e. you have to scroll to the end of the list in order to see the item count. I'm wondering why AgileBits ignores so many standard UI patterns in 1PW8 and tries to reinvent well known and established UI concepts.

• Axell
    Axell
    Community Member
    edited January 2022

I agree with all the newly appeared minuses of the program!
    And copy\paste text from my topic with options that are very important for me
    version 8 limitations for me:
    1. Now we have no button to lock program!!! Why?
    2. Now we have not hotkeys to "show password"...
    3. Now i cant go across my vaults.. all in one;
    4. Now i cant add my OFFLINE vaults and cant't use it (about 5 vaults for different companies)

Nice update.... guys. Listen to users before it's too late

• tylex
    tylex
    Community Member

I said it in another post already. This is a dealbreaker. This version is not an up- but downgrade.

Maybe it is really time to look into other options.

• PeterG_1P
    edited January 2022

Hi @Axell, thanks for the feedback. I'm happy to address your points here.

1. Now we have no button to lock program!!! Why?

Can you share more about what you're referring to? There's a couple ways to do this: in the app, select ... > Lock 1Password. You can also use the key combination ctrl + shift + L. I hope this helps! If not, will be happy to discuss anything you've noticed.

1. Now we have not hotkeys to "show password"...

You can do this with ctrl + r. Let me know if that works for you. πŸ‘

1. Now i cant go across my vaults.. all in one

This is what the All Items option in the left sidebar does. If you're in this view, and the categories button towards the top is set to all categories, then you should be viewing all your items, across vaults, listed by default in alphabetical order. πŸ‘

1. Now i cant add my OFFLINE vaults and cant't use it (about 5 vaults for different companies)

We do recognize that this is a big change for some folks - and while there are really many upsides to that change, I'll skip the recap for now. To help with your immediate needs, we'd be happy to discuss this with you at support@1Password.com if you'd like to talk over your specific scenario with us so that we can assist.

More medium-term, we'd welcome your input on our self-hosting survey, which helps us better understand how we might support folks who well and truly cannot make use of a synced service, even when it's end-to-end encrypted (and thus we have no access to your data or insight on its contents).

Here's the link for that survey: https://survey.1password.com/self-host/

And like much modern software, 1Password 8 will be continually iterated on going forward - so if something isn't present there now, it doesn't mean it will always be that way. We're doing bug fixes, performance and feature improvements, and adding new functionality every day. And the new app is proving a great foundation upon which to build. πŸ˜€

• RobMendez
    RobMendez
    Community Member

@jack.platten thanks for the comments. I guess in the new desktop version, items previously termed Accounts are now renamed to Vaults, and items previously termed Vaults are now renamed to Collections. That's why, even when selecting All Items, I was only getting items from one of my vaults (using the older terminology). Understanding the new terminology, I've been able to re-create what I was able to get in v7. Thanks again! πŸ‘

• brhaftigt
    brhaftigt
    Community Member

Thanks for following this up guys.

I am eager to see the new updates coming my way.

Concerning the save password I have to press save password before clicking login or create account. Where this was presented to me in v7 afterwards. Somewhat in the lines of (hey we did not find this login in your vault. Do you want to save it ?) I love that feature.

Now what I ran into as well is that when I update a password and try to save it. It creates a new record instead of seeing that there is already an account like that and proposing if I want to replace that record.

Concerning the shortcuts I have no idea if it is Windows11 related or not but I have on both my desktop and laptop the same issue that I have to open 1password through Windows Search instead of control + shift + .
    Have not tried it on a Windows 10 device however.

Thanks for the good work!

This discussion has been closed.