v8 passing state from Browser to Desktop Client

Options
lspeterman
lspeterman
Community Member
  1. New desktop client installed, v8.4.0 (currently the beta build, but will try with updated version soon)
  2. Open client, fill out all details (for a business site configured with Duo MFA)
  3. Browser opens with Duo Prompt, respond to prompt successfully (push or yubikey, doesn’t matter)
  4. Browser looks like it ‘tries’ to pass the session back to the desktop client but just hangs.
  5. Result is client setup is unsuccessful.

Currently the only way to get around this is to set the Duo profile to bypass, but that isn’t a sustainable workaround. I think it also affects writing from the client to the service.

Version of Windows 10 is 20H2. Edge version is 89.0.774.75. Our installation of Edge is highly managed so it may be a trusted site thing, but I need to know what settings to give it to ensure it can interact with the client successfully.

I do get that this may be a browser issue, but wasn't sure where to start it. This works fine on v7 or on v8 with a personal vault vs. business.

1Password Version: 8.4
Extension Version: 2.1.8
OS Version: Windows 10 20H2

Comments

• Hi @lspeterman:

I'm sorry you're running into trouble here. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

In case you have no accounts added to your 1Password app and aren't able to click All Accounts as mentioned in the Sending Diagnostics Reports steps above, you can still access Settings by pressing Ctrl + ,.

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• bachirica
    bachirica
    Community Member
    Options

Bookmarking this thread as I'm on the same situation as @lspeterman. No problem adding my personal account to v8 but I have the same behavior when adding my business account (also with Duo MFA)

In my case I'm using Windows 11 (OS Build 22000.318) and I've tried with MS Edge v95.0.1020.53 and Chrome v95.0.4638.69 as browsers

• lspeterman
    lspeterman
    Community Member
    Options

Support ID is ZYN-87839-742

• PeterG_1P
    edited November 2021
    Options

Hi folks, just want to let you know we're actively looking into this one. We'll hope to have more for you soon!

ref: dev/core/core#11393

• jmart75
    jmart75
    Community Member
    Options

Awesome, @PeterG_1P thank you for the update.

I'm experiencing the exact same thing as @Ispeterman and @bachirica. My company uses Duo MFA as well. Like @bachirica I'm using Windows 11 (OS Build 22000.318) and I've tried it with MS Edge v95.0.1020.44 and Chrome v95.0.4638.69.

• Sorry to learn this affects you as well, @jmart75. 😕 We will continue to update when we have something for you!

• lspeterman
    lspeterman
    Community Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

Just as an update, I did perform a reinstall with the latest production build 80400054 and the issue was duplicated.

Also, don't know if it would help, but I manage our company's relationship with Duo and could open a ticket on that side as well.

• Hey @lspeterman:

We're still investigating, we'll be in touch if we need some more specific information from you. Thanks for your patience on this!

Jack

• lspeterman
    lspeterman
    Community Member
    Options

I see 8.5 in the beta channel? Should I be testing that?

• Hi @lspeterman, the fix is not part of 8.5 BETA, but it is being worked on, and we'll make sure to both post in the forum as well as contact you personally when it rolls out. We'll get it to you as quickly as possible!

• lspeterman
    lspeterman
    Community Member
    Options

Sounds good. Thank you.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1: :)

• lspeterman
    lspeterman
    Community Member
    Options

I'm getting emails saying this has been resolved, but no communication as to the actual fix. Can someone let me know what the outcome was?

• Hi @lspeterman,

I've just checked into this, and I'll reply to your most recent email there to clarify what may have happened on our end.

Jack

ref: GTB-26421-926

• bachirica
    bachirica
    Community Member
    Options

Is there a solution to this? I'm still facing the issue and haven't seen any update to the desktop client

• Hi @bachirica:

We're still actively working on it, but I've added you to our issue tracking this to follow up with you as soon as we have a fix in place. Thanks for your patience on this!

Jack

• lspeterman
    lspeterman
    Community Member
    Options

Any update yet? I thought we had dodged a bullet by getting the v7 package out pretty aggressively but a few of our folks with local admin rights were able to update the client to 8.5 and now can't login. We're having them roll back but it seems like this may be an issue for us sooner than later.

• Blake
    edited January 2022
    Options

Hey @lspeterman 👋

Duo should be working for everyone now, so if you're still running into trouble could you have one of your affected users create a Diagnostic Report and send it into support+windows@1password.com so we could take a closer look at things? 🔎

• bachirica
    bachirica
    Community Member
    Options

I was able to re-add my corporate account to v8 now!! Thanks!! :)

• lspeterman
    lspeterman
    Community Member
    Options

Got confirmation this morning that the Duo prompt is working. That ticket can be closed.

• Ben
    Options

Excellent news, @bachirica. Thanks for sharing. :)

Ben

• lspeterman
    lspeterman
    Community Member
    Options

Only minor complaint here is that the handoff is a little clunky compared to v7. It opens a browser tab for the duo dialogue and you have to manually close it after it hands it back to the client. That's probably on Duo with their new universal prompt implementation, but kind of a step back. The upside is I can use my security key in that dialog vs. the v7 implementation.

This discussion has been closed.