"Unable to unlock with biometrics" message when unlocking Safari extension on 2018 iPad Pro

VirtualWolf
VirtualWolf
Community Member

Whenever the 1Password extension for Safari is locked and I click on the toolbar icon to unlock it, it seems like I should be able to unlock it with Face ID because there's the little Face ID icon the same as opening the main app, but whenever I click it, I get an error saying "Unable to unlock with biometrics" and I have no choice but to unlock with the master password.

I've tried disabling and re-enabling Face ID for the main app, to no avail. How do I get it to unlock the extension with Face ID? Because entering my password constantly is a massive step backwards. :(

1Password Version: 7.9.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iPadOS 15.2

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@VirtualWolf:

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your iOS device and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• VirtualWolf
    VirtualWolf
    Community Member

Done, thanks Ana! Ticket number is GYY-62416-418.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@VirtualWolf:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: GYY-62416-418

• drewpreiner
    drewpreiner
    Community Member

I am also experiencing this same issue!

• Alvin.L_1P
    edited January 2022

Hi @drewpreiner 👋

Are you attempting to unlock the Safari extension using Face ID while in landscape mode on an iPad? We're currently investigating a very specific issue with biometrics and the Safari web extension - when a Face-ID equipped iPad Pro is in landscape mode with an external keyboard connected, biometrics will fail. However, when biometrics fail, swapping the device to portrait mode temporarily resolves the issue and biometrics can be used, even when returned to landscape mode; this works for a number of unlocks before biometrics fail again.

The next time biometrics fail for you, could you try moving your device into portrait mode, then back to landscape, and let me know if biometrics are accepted afterwards?

ref: apple-5611

• drewpreiner
    drewpreiner
    Community Member

yep that worked!

• Hey @drewpreiner:

Glad to hear Dave's advice sorted it out for you! If you need anything in the future, don't hesitate to get in touch. :smile:

Jack

• drewpreiner
    drewpreiner
    Community Member

Do I have to do that everytime or is a fix coming?

• @drewpreiner:

We're still investigating to narrow down the cause of this, so in the meantime, when the issue does occur, switching the device to portrait mode should get you up and running again. Thanks for following up!

Jack

• VirtualWolf
    VirtualWolf
    Community Member

Any further luck with narrowing this down? :)

• Hi @VirtualWolf:

Thanks for following up on this. We're still working to narrow down the specific cause of this, so in the meantime, switching to portrait mode would it does reoccur would be your best bet.

Jack

• VirtualWolf
    VirtualWolf
    Community Member

Roger that, thanks!

• On behalf of Jack, you're welcome.

Love the name, way super cool. Bad Wolf from Dr. Who keeps popping into my mind for some reason. Haha.

This discussion has been closed.