1Password 8 for Windows Keyboard Shortcuts Conflict With Word for Windows Shortcuts

Options

Allow me to explain...

I was working in Word for Windows. I wanted to enter a non line breaking space whose keyboard shortcut is CTRL + SHIFT + SPACE.

It was impossible to do because CTRL + SHIFT + SPACE is 1Password 8's keyboard shortcut for Show Quick Access.

To try to solve this I deleted the keyboard shortcut from within 1Password 8's settings but it kept coming up and overriding Word.

The asks / questions are:

1. 1Password might want to consider changing its default keyboard shortcuts given the popularity of Word and its related keyboard shortcuts (i.e. a non line breaking space is somewhat common).

2. How do I fix this problem?

3. What are the 1Password 8 for Windows default keyboard shortcuts?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 8.5.0
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: Windows 11

Comments

• PeterG_1P
    edited January 2022
    Options

Hi @Joelc, thanks for bringing this up. We were recently alerted to this potential hotkey conflict with Word by another customer as well (and put in a customer request to change the default shortcut 👍), but as far as I know it should be possible to change the shortcut setting in the 1Password app - so we'll definitely want to look into that too.

If you're up for investigating a little further, I'll suggest the following test:

1. Open 1Password 8 for Windows
    2. Go to ... > Settings > General
    3. Click in the Show Quick Access box, then type Ctrl + Shift + A (an arbitrarily chosen shortcut). You should see this appear in the box.
    4. Lock 1Password, and then enter your account password again to re-open the app.
    5. Try the new shortcut to open Quick Access. Does it work?

This worked for me on a Beta version of 8.5.0 just now. I'll be interested to know what you find!

• Joelc
    Joelc
    Community Member
    Options

@PeterG_1P , appreciate you taking the time to respond.

The good news, no problem, I am happy to investigate further.

The bad news, it did not work. 1Password 8 "took" the new keyboard shortcut but when I pressed Ctrl + Shift + Space in Word I still got the Quick Access bar. Something is not working properly.

Thanks.

• Joelc
    Joelc
    Community Member
    Options

@PeterG_1P , a little help please. Thx!

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Joelc

If you reboot your device are you still seeing 1Password pop up when pressing Ctrl + Shift + Space with those settings in place?

Ben

• Joelc
    Joelc
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben , appreciate it, my bad, the reboot worked all good!

Thank you!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update. Kinda odd that a reboot was required, but I'm glad that did the trick.

Ben

• Joelc
    Joelc
    Community Member
    Options

As am I!

Again, thank you!

• Ben
    Options

Happy to help. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.