Can I make the Chrome browser extension subdomain sensitive?

Options
PaulBosse
PaulBosse
Community Member

If I use different subdomains for sites, eg

• server1.yourdomain.com
  • server2.yourdomain.com
  • server3.yourdomain.com
    and I want to logon to one of those servers the Chrome extension suggest all useraccounts on all subdomains. Obviously I don't want that because those are different servers with completely different functions.

Is there a way to make the Chrome extension subdomain-sensitive? So it only suggests credentials that belong to a specific subdomain?
I did search for it but couldn't find it

1Password Version: 7.9.828
Extension Version: 2.2.0
OS Version: Win 10 Pro

Comments

• vidario
    vidario
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, It is something that many users have been asking for for a very long time. Now a member of 1password will reply to you more or less with these words: "We hope to improve and expand this feature in the future"; "this is definitely on our radar and we do have plans to improve this". Personally, I have lost hope that this will happen

• PaulBosse
    PaulBosse
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, thanks for your response Vidario!
    Didn't work with the community before but couldn't find an answer, therefore this question AGAIN ;-)

• Hi @PaulBosse and @vidario:

One of our developers has talked about this a bit here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/348474/#Comment_348474

With that in mind however, I absolutely see that it is an area we can improve on, and I hope in the future we can improve the state of play here. I've added your feedback to the internal discussion we have on the topic.

Jack

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#31

• Dilvish
    Dilvish
    Community Member
    Options

Hello

5 years have passed since that post, but this is a very important request which makes my work very painful.

• Hi @Dilvish, thank you for your thoughts here. I'm sorry to learn this is a pain point for your workflow, and I have passed it along to our development team as we consider how something like this feature might be done. I can't promise anything in particular at this point, but do want you to know that we're listening. Thank you!

ref: IDEA-I-57

• dmir
    dmir
    Community Member
    edited April 2022
    Options

Thank you for this post since this is a pain point for us as well

I'm wondering how a big organisation is using 1Password when there is no subdomain sensitive autofill of domains.

Let me give you an example:

projectone.somedomain.com
    projecttwo.somedomain.com

Both projects have an "admin" login.

With tagging we would tag one admin item with "project one" and the other one with "project two".

The one admin item would get "projectone.somedomain.com" as a domain and the other one "projecttwo.somedomain.com".

The autofill mechanism would now suggest two "admin" items. And now the guessing game begins.

Yeah sure we could name the items "Project One / admin" and "Project Two / admin" but this is quite cumbersome.

And this simple example shows how 1Password is lacking very simple organisation features like folders, vaults in vaults etc. and the missing subdomain sensitivity in the autocompletion makes this even worse.

In the end I don't get how big companies seriously use 1password with this lack of organisation features.

• Theo13
    Theo13
    Community Member
    Options

Just to add another thing which bites me nearly every day: Different ports can be different things. In fact, they nearly always are.

• Hi folks! Thank you for these additional insights. We don't have anything to share on this at the moment, but I have cast votes on behalf of @dmir and @Theo13 for this feature so that we can keep tracking customer demand and better understand the reasons this would be useful for you.

Many thanks for sharing these points with us!

ref: IDEA-I-57

• dmir
    dmir
    Community Member
    Options

@PeterG_1P I'm sorry to be a bit impatient here. But this is an absolutely basic feature for a password manager! In the business area 1Password is the most expensive option. It would be nice to get this one finally sorted out.

• Hi @dmir, no need to apologize. We genuinely appreciate understanding where the pain points are for you, and to what extent this particular thing matters for your workflow vs. other features to which we might dedicate an equivalent X hours of engineering, design, and testing time.

Again, my apologies that I don't have anything immediately to share on this. But I will do my best to make sure that your concerns are getting heard. And as a company, we are dedicated to understanding and being responsive to the needs of folks who use 1Password - whether that's a technically experienced developer with a pressing need for sub-domain and port matching, or someone getting comfortable with using an iPad for the first time.

Thanks for your patience as we keep triaging issues and rolling out new features!

This discussion has been closed.