What happened to "scan one time password" functionality?

khutch
khutch
Community Member

In 1Password 8 for Windows, there is no longer any kind of "scan one time password" functionality (which existed in 1Password 7). When I add a one time password, it only lets me type in a one time password code. How can I scan the screen or image to add this?

1Password Version: 8.4.0
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: Windows 10

Comments

• licenced
    licenced
    Community Member

In the browser extension there is a 'Scan QR code' option ... does that help?

• khutch
    khutch
    Community Member

It helps somewhat. I just don't understand why a major piece of functionality was removed from the brand new desktop version. It's not like 2FA is going away.
    I like using the desktop app (sometimes in split screen in my monitor), since the browser extension constantly goes away after every click. It's disappointing that I have to change my workflow for something as important as 2FA.

• Hey @khutch and @licenced:

Thanks for your feedback here. The QR code scanning functionality in 1Password 8 is still on our roadmap, and I'll make sure your feedback is added to the internal issue we have tracking this. As mentioned, using 1Password in your browser to quickly scan a 2FA code on a website would be your best bet currently. Thanks again!

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#5963

• khutch
    khutch
    Community Member

@jack.platten Thanks for the official follow up. The workaround is definitely usable, and to know that it's on the road map is helpful.

• You're very welcome @khutch! If you ever have any questions in the future, don't hesitate to reach out!

Jack

• jimger
    jimger
    Community Member
    edited December 2021

When are u planning to get the feature? It is one of the most useful

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

+1 for bringing it back into the main application. I use the browser extension only for filling and not for creating accounts because I like to add notes, attachments, ... during account creation.

• Hey folks.

We're batting around a few ideas about this. Still early stages, so I can't make any promises, but I think it is safe to say we now better understand the use case and would like to support it. 🤞🏻

Ben

• jimger
    jimger
    Community Member

@Ben Doesn't make any sense removing it from the first place. I don't understand why removing any feature....

• Hey @jimger, @viswiz, @khutch:

Happy to let you all know that as of version 8.5.0-79.BETA, scanning QR codes for one-time passwords is now available in the 1Password desktop app:

Let us know how you get on with it! :smile:

Jack

• khutch
    khutch
    Community Member

That's awesome! That's much quicker than I thought it would be. Thank you so much! I'll keep my eyes open for it.

• 😁👍️

Ben

• jimger
    jimger
    Community Member

Working for me too... I think when I tried it was quite slow, but thankfully u don't do it everyday...

• Hey @jimger

Please do let us know if the slowness is a reoccurring problem.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.