Early access and Alfred / Spotlight / LaunchBar (3rd party search integration)

Options

Comments

• srbuwsnyc
    srbuwsnyc
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @Ben. I searched but not well enough. Thanks for following up!

• Ben
    Options

@srbuwsnyc No worries. :)

Ben

• tonystinson
    tonystinson
    Community Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

Using 1Password 8 on M1 MacBook Pro; using 1Password for Safari, and using LauncBar.

When LaunchBar starts, I get an error message from LaunchBar regarding 3rd party app integration being disabled, and the need to enable 3rd party app integrations in 1Password preferences. However that option is not in the preferences for 1Password 8. It was an option in the preferences for 1Password 7. I uninstalled 1Password 7 before installing 8, but there must me a remnant of 1Password 7 hanging around.

Any idea on how to resolve this error message?

1Password Version: 8.5
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: macOS 12.1

• Ben
    Options

Hi @tonystinson

We don't have this in the 1Password 8 for Mac beta, at least not yet. For now you'll want to disable the integration in LaunchBar. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Ben

• Dazzzz
    Dazzzz
    Community Member
    Options

I use LaunchBar rather than Alfred and it also requests 3rd Party app integration, so I'm just making mention of that as another request for this feature in 1Password 8 when possible.

Cheers

Dazzzz

• Hey @Dazzzz

I removed your email address as your username to protect your privacy. I changed it to how you signed off as Dazzzz Please take note and update any logins.

Thanks for letting us know the feature is important to you too.

• Dazzzz
    Dazzzz
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks ag_tommy I tried to change it, but I couldn't see how. I appreciate you doing that.

• Ben
    Options

🙂👍🏻

Ben

• trebornailo
    trebornailo
    Community Member
    Options

The lack of 3rd party app integration has torched one of my important Keyboard Maestro uses as well. Please move this item up the priority list. Thank you.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @trebornailo

Agreed. It has taken far too long for this basic functionality to be made available in this version.

• bradical
    bradical
    Community Member
    Options

Is there something I need to do to tell Alfred to use 1P 8 Beta when using the 1p <search...> to locate logins to navigate to?

Right now, this seems to try to open 1password 7. I'm not sure if the extension itself is tied to 7 or how that works.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.5.0 80500103
    OS Version: macOS 12.1

• Ben
    Options

Not yet. 🤞

Ben

• mdvzo
    mdvzo
    Community Member
    edited February 2022
    Options

This thread goes back to August and still nothing. Seems like very few requests have made it to code. Too many feature gaps between previous versions. I will give you this one though since the Quick Access function sort of makes the third party integration relevant.

• PeterG_1P
    edited February 2022
    Options

Hi @mdvzo, I'm sorry we haven't had an update for you on this one yet.

Seems like very few requests have made it to code.

This is not quite true - there have been many additions and improvements in the last months, and there are more on the horizon - a sizable number of which have been driven directly by customer requests.

However, we know we still have more work to do, and we're not done yet. We'll keep listening closely to customer feedback on everything, and are iterating as quickly and efficiently as we can. I hope the updates to come will be to your liking!

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @PeterG_1P,

I respectively disagree. Alfred integration should be introduced months ago. It has never been adequately explained why it was withdrawn in the first place.

There has just been one excuse after another why your developers have failed to do this.

• PeterG_1P
    edited February 2022
    Options

Hi @HRD, I'm sorry if it feels that way! And I do recognize that you requested this a while ago and have been patient along the way.

Just to offer some additional info:

It has never been adequately explained why it was withdrawn in the first place.

Alfred integration wasn't withdrawn from 1Password 8. Essentially everything that's in 1Password 8 is new, because the app was completely rebuilt from the ground up. It's an entirely new app (not a spruced-up iteration of 1Password 7). I'm sorry if that sounds like a technicality, but what I mean to convey here is that it's not that we're working with an updated 1Password 7 and decided "eh, no one likes Alfred." We do understand that this has value for folks, and it is indeed on our list.

There has just been one excuse after another why your developers have failed to do this.

My last post mentioned that we're already working to capacity, so I don't imagine it'll be productive to elaborate further; I understand you don't feel we're doing enough. But I would like to share with you some recent thoughts from Dave Teare, one of our founders:

Please keep in mind that 1Password 8 was a complete rewrite from the ground up. And not only that, it was done so in new languages with new tooling.

We launched the first early access on August 11th of last year. It feels like a long time but let's put some numbers to it. Wolframalpha reports that the first release was 127 weekdays ago (business days if you prefer) and in that time the 1Password for Mac beta changelog has grown to include 22 new betas with over 400 improvements. We can argue about the priority of individual changes but the point is there's a lot going on.

Again, we're doing everything we can to produce an app without peer - and the most robust, resilient and full-featured product we can.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @PeterG_1P

Thanks for your comprehensive response but you have justified my points:

'We launched the first early access on August 11th of last year.'

That is almost SIX MONTHS ago and since then there is been no progress on providing this basic functionality.

Alfred integration should be included from the start of early access. What is the point of a new version if basic functionality is withdrawn?

It was a retrograde step that still has not been addressed.

Enough said.

• freshjoy
    freshjoy
    Community Member
    Options

Just moved to the v8 beta on macOS and I immediately miss the integration with my launcher of choice (LaunchBar).

Is this feature on the roadmap?

1Password Version: 8.5.0
    OS Version: 12.2

• Ben
    Options

It is on the roadmap, yes. :)

Ben

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben,

With respect, after all these months, I suggest we are entitled to a more informative response!

• janpeeters
    janpeeters
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also eagerly awaiting third party integration to use within Raycast. When do you expect this to be released?

• Ben
    Options

I'm afraid I don't have a satisfying answer. This work is currently blocked by another project: secure settings. We can't move forward here until that work is complete, and I don't know when that will be.

Ben

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben,

Having now admitted there is no roadmap to introduce basic functionality, it's time for you and your colleagues to review your flawed development processes.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2022
    Options

I understand your frustration HRD, but I don't feel that is either a fair characterization of what has been said or the state of things. This isn't on the basic functionality list. We understand it is something a subset of users are very passionate about and will work to bring it to the product as soon as we can reasonably do so. I wish that could be tomorrow, but it can't. Many of us here are Alfred users. We want it too, but to say integration with Alfred or other 3rd party search is part of the basic/fundamental functionality of 1Password is a stretch; I'm sorry. I'm happy to continue to advocate for it, but the tone here is as disheartening as the fact that it hasn't been built yet.

If this is functionality you're anxious to have, it is available today in 1Password 7 for Mac.

Ben

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben,

Your reply doesn't help one bit. The beta of Version 8 should have been released with 3rd party integration from the off. You have admitted now there is no roadmap for its introduction and this is a failure on your developers part.

After all these months it is not an unreasonable request for paying customers to state that is about time this was done!

• Hi @HRD , please keep in mind that the Early Access of 1Password 8 for Mac is just that - it's not a Production release yet. And again, we're discussing 3rd-party app integrations, which are definitionally not a part of basic app function.

We are indeed adding new features, fixes, and improvements as fast as we can (you might have seen that we added sidebar Categories, hideable tags, a fix for Quick Access positioning on multiple monitors, QR codes in the desktop app, and more just this week), and development of the app continues to progress. We understand that you really care about Alfred integration, but we are also balancing many priorities (each of which affect people who also are dedicated users of 1Password). As @Ben mentioned, it might be best to roll back to 1Password 7 for a while if this particular feature is of critical importance to you.

There's not much we can offer beyond doing our best, which we're already doing, so I think it's best if we leave the discussion there.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @PeterG_1P,

I had no intention of continuing the discussion following my last post but obviously you do!

I am well aware of what you have introduced this week.

@Ben has freely admitted that development work on 3rd party integration has now stopped.

My final remark. Early Access doesn't equate to 6-months of development!

• Hello @HRD,

I'm sorry for the frustration we caused and are continuing to cause you on this.

You're right that 3rd-party app integration hasn't bubbled up on our priority list yet and I'm sorry that it's causing you pain. It's something we'd like to revisit when we have a chance.

There are many on the team that love Alfred, including myself. My Mac feels completely broken without it and I even wrote An Alfred Love Letter on Twitter shouting out my love for the app and the team behind it. So I have absolutely nothing against this feature. I would like it added and someday I hope we will.

With that said, at this moment, we're simply stretched too thin to make this a priority. Some on the team pushed me to raise it on the priority list and I regretfully had to say no as there were too many other things competing for priority.

As you quoted we indeed launched the first early access on August 11th of last year. It feels like a long time but let's put some numbers to it. Wolframalpha reports that the first release was 132 weekdays ago (business days if you prefer) and in that time the 1Password for Mac beta changelog has grown to include 23 new betas with over 400 improvements. We can argue about the priority of individual changes but the point is there's a lot going on. The team is averaging about 4 improvements a day and I feel they're doing great. The last thing I want to do is disrupt the team with changing priorities on this mid-stream or requiring them to spin even more plates in the air. We made a call on our priorities and we are moving forward. I agree with you we should add this feature and when we get a chance we'll start a small project to revisit this and push it through.

Again, I am sorry that I'm causing you more work and frustration. My comments here are not meant to be an excuse or otherwise. I simply thought sharing some of the behind the scenes details could help.

Finally, I'd like to mention what I try to mention on every announcement around betas and early access: if you enjoy being on the bleeding edge, jump on in! If you don't, wait for the release. It's always hard to get a solid read on feelings over text but I don't get the feeling you are having fun. If you're not and/or Alfred integration is critical to your workflows, please use 1Password 7. It's a great app and you can dive into 1Password 8 once we're able to add 3rd party app integration.

Peace. ✌️

++dave;
    1Password Founder

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

HI @dteare,

Thanks for your comprehensive response.

With respect, all it does is confirm what I have been saying - after 6-months of early access you have no roadmap for the introduction of 3rd party integration. As a long time paying customer I find this rather disappointing and remain of the view that your development process is questionable and needs to be reevaluated.

In conclusion, I would add that is little point in contributing to this forum if you fail to take into account what users are saying.

This discussion has been closed.